• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vertical coroplast trimmer, keencut -vs- fletcher -vs- neolt

Tom Dalton

We need a vertical trimmer to cut corrugated plastic. I don't want a panel saw because of the mess and noise plus I'm not cutting tougher materials like wood.

I've ruled out electric assist trimmers because they are too expensive.

We need a vertical trimmer so that we can save shop space (vs a table trimmer).

I've narrowed it down to these three. Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.keencut.com/uk/products/vertical-cutters/excalibur-5000.aspx
http://www.fletcherviscom.com/F3100/main.html
http://www.neoltusa.com/products/manual_fixed_trimmers.php

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Never tried any vertical mounted ones but we have a Keencut Javelin. Works great for foam, coro, etc. for getting nice perfect cuts.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have that Fletcher. It's sweet. Ours has a laser guide at the top, also.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Well, Tom... we don't have a vertical cutter, but we have a KeenCut Javelin (102") which is very well made and has not given us any trouble -- not that there is much to go wrong with it.

But also of note is the blades they supplied with it. I cut a fair bit of coro and thin Sintra with this cutter and, at the rate that these blades last, the box of 50 blades they supplied with it are going to last another 20 years...

SignsByNicholas

Hi Gino. I have the Fletcher FSC substrate cutter. I bought it used from a sign shop that was closing up. I'm having a problem cutting .063 aluminum... it curls the aluminum at the corners. I bought a brand new attachment specifically to cut aluminum sheets and meant for .063, so I know the wheels aren't dull. It seems to be cutting easily enough, but I want a nice, flat substrate when I'm done and I'm getting curled corners.

Any advice or tips to preventing this from happening would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nicholas

Letterbox Mike

We have a Fletcher and literally never, ever use it. We just find our table-top Javelins a lot easier, faster and more accurate. It's been taking up shop space for years now, we were actually discussing taking it apart and pitching it in the dumpster...

FatCat

We have a Fletcher and literally never, ever use it. We just find our table-top Javelins a lot easier, faster and more accurate. It's been taking up shop space for years now, we were actually discussing taking it apart and pitching it in the dumpster...

Uh, before you do that Mike - give me a call. I'm sure we can work something out. :wink:

Dave Rowland

can we confirm that this is not print related... just cutting boards to shape and then doing what you have to do.

cutting print edge marks on vertical tools is tricky indeed so i have been told

Tom Dalton

I can think of two advantages to a vertical trimmer. tell me if I am wrong.

1. gravity pulls the material against the bottom rail and works like a clamp to get the material square to the vertical rail before clamping it in.

2. I would think that a typical human would have a longer reach when cutting vertically when compared to ones reach when reaching across a table. That is to say that your arm travel is longer vertically than it is when reaching across a table and pulling a blade toward you (assuming that the material prevents you from standing on the end of the table to slide the cutter).

T

d fleming

Fletcher Terry. Works like a champ.

Attachments

• cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 181

quicksigns

I bought a Flecther 3100 from a guy off craigslist for $350. He buy auction storage and didn't know what the hell it was. I bought the .040 aluminum insert for it an now can cut aluminum as well as coro, foamboard.