• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Very slow rip on certain files in Flexi

Graphics2u

I have a wrap that I'm trying to print and it's designed in Flexi and Illy. Using Flexi for the final layout. The background is made up of one large JPG with a mask applied to it and several other Gradients made in Flexi. Then on top of that there are several other logos that are vectors with Seamless tile pattern fills (brushed metal look, engine turn, etc.). Then i have made a shadow on the logos and used the transparent lens effect in Flexi to give it a true shadow look. This whole file is about 53" x 128".

If I try to send that just the way it is designed to Production Manager it takes absolutely forever for it to create a job file. Then when it starts to RIP it it just says Processing at least 30 minutes, never gets to the actual ripping, then I got fed up and stopped it. I don't know if it would ever finish or not, seemed like the computer had almost stopped working.

If I go back into Flexi and rasterize the whole image at 100dpi and send it as a bitmap it works alright but you really lose the detail of the vector images. I'm not concerned with the background image as much but the vectors get pretty pixelated looking.

Why does it take so long to RIP it the other way with the vectors and Gradients and bitmaps all sent together as compared to sending one giant bitmap?

SignBurst PCs

Why does it take so long to RIP it the other way with the vectors and Gradients and bitmaps all sent together as compared to sending one giant bitmap?

I am not 100% sure how to answer the question correctly, but I would say that the RIP (Production Manager) has to make more calculations if you send it in it's raw form. If you send as a single bitmap, it is just a bunch of pixels and is easier to deal with. (Just my guess). But this seems to be the norm with most RIP software.

Although, I do wonder why you are loosing your clarity if you save it at 100ppi. Anything over 70ppi (as long as it is designed and scaled correctly) should be very clear in the print, 100 should be fine.

Graphics2u

Although, I do wonder why you are loosing your clarity if you save it at 100ppi. Anything over 70ppi (as long as it is designed and scaled correctly) should be very clear in the print, 100 should be fine.
I wouldn't say it losing clarity is exactly the trouble, it's just that the edges and round corners and curves get to looking jagged.

I kinda made the the same assumption you did on why it takes so long. Also sometimes when I send images to PM a little box will come up and ask to rasterize and then you have to choose what dpi. What does this mean and why does it only come up occasionally?

SignBurst PCs

Rasterizing is just basically "converting to pixels". It will be void of layers, vectors, effects, and such. It is just a flat bunch of pixels.

I have no idea why it only happens sometimes, unless some images are already rasterized and that is why it doesn't ask.

signguy95

when you get the box stating to rasterize, most likely you have transparent lens effect somewhere in your artwork...flexi make that get rasterized before it will print.

As far as rasterizing the whole thing...flexi sucks at rasterization! I use photoshop or illustrator anytime I do a wrap job, it just makes a better jpeg!

Having a raptor drive or the like for a scratch disk for production manager will speed the RIP process somewhat.

Jay

Graphics2u

As far as rasterizing the whole thing...flexi sucks at rasterization! I use photoshop or illustrator anytime I do a wrap job, it just makes a better jpeg!
Jay
I agree that flexi stinks at rasterizing. And I was trying to use Illy but it kept saying it was too large a file, can't remember the exact error message.

signguy95

try doing a "save as" and selecting .jpg instead of .ai in Illustrator.

I know that the "save for the web" will give you that error.