• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VG540 media width

tim99

Hello everyone. just updated my vg540 to the new TR2 ink set. so new firmware and software update along with ink flush ect. the Roland prints fine but i cannot get it to detect media width now. when i load material it goes to 53 inches without even trying to detect pinch rollers.

went into the menu and turned on and off edge detection either way it sets up at 53 without looking for pinch rollers. iv tried moving the rollers as well as different materials..

any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Jester

Slow is Fast
Where are you placing the pinch rollers? Our VG2 doesn't detect the actual material edge, it detects the position of the left-most pinch roller. You must move all of the "middle" rollers to the right so that the left-most roller is on the edge of your material. Don't ask me how I know! :)
I believe that's why there is a minimum material width on the VG2 spec sheet - there is a limit to how far right you can move that last pinch roller because of the space needed to stack up all of the middle rollers. The minimum width is greater for the -640 than the -540, so I would guess the -640 has more middle pinch rollers than the -540.

Last edited:

tim99

running only 2 pinch rollers at the moment. have tried 15" material and 30" material. i dont think the issue is the print rollers because the print head never leaves to look for the pinch rollers.
i pull down the lever and instantly 53" is what it says. no searching for rollers takes place.

Jester

Slow is Fast
Hmm, that's what you said in your original post, but I guess I didn't read very well! Seems like a setting, but since you've done a factory reset I don't see how that would be possible.
Sounds like a question for Scott at Roland !

tim99

just wanted to update this. I re installed Firmware 3.1 solved all my issues. then back to 4.00 same issue as before with media width. now back to 3.10 until i can get this figured out.

Jester

Slow is Fast
Joe House , is it safe to install firmware (and software, too) from the Roland Japan site on US-based models? There was a post just the other day about installing VW from the Japanese site and having serious problems.

Joe House

I haven't been on much lately and didn't see that, but was just given that link by Roland DGA just last week. I've used downloads from the Japan site for years, mostly because it usually gets posted there a few days earlier than on the US site.
I consider it safe and recommend it. I've updated some customers with it and have not heard back from them. It is fully supported by Roland DGA, so there's no warranty or support issues there. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but haven't seen the other post yet - I reserve the right to change my mind, though I seldom do, just ask my wife.o_O

Joe

tim99

installation of the firmware was fine. now on 4.10 same issue print head never leaves dock to look for media width.

I contacted Roland though there website and was told it has to be a hardware issue. I cant understand that since it works fine on 3.1

peerlessdani

Where are you placing the pinch rollers? Our VG2 doesn't detect the actual material edge, it detects the position of the left-most pinch roller. You must move all of the "middle" rollers to the right so that the left-most roller is on the edge of your material. Don't ask me how I know! :)
I believe that's why there is a minimum material width on the VG2 spec sheet - there is a limit to how far right you can move that last pinch roller because of the space needed to stack up all of the middle rollers. The minimum width is greater for the -640 than the -540, so I would guess the -640 has more middle pinch rollers than the -540.
Yup, this is what I have to do too.