Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Via Executive Order, Adobe / Venezuela

Discussion in 'Business Management' started by ColorCrest, Oct 11, 2019.

1. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Yep, it happens 2 months after that order was put into effect.

This also highlights the joys of a subscription based system.

Now, I'm no lawyer and maybe that 2 months is just what it takes for somethings to work it's way through the system.

I, however, would not be happy about this and just another reason why not to go the subscription route (if able to go elsewhere).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes, why are they only implementing this now if the sanction took effect in August? Not only that, they're still giving Venezuelan customers a couple more weeks of service before they shut down all accounts.

The bigger question though, is why is Adobe shutting down all Venezuelan accounts, when the sanctions only apply to Venezuelan government entities? I'm sure some overly cautious lawyers and a cost-benefit analysis were involved, but it's still bullshit to cut off the entire country. A lot of people in Venezuela depend on Adobe software for their jobs.

3. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    They are just going to download pirated software and use that until it opens again. Better make sure all your files are legacy compatible.

4. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Is MS doing the same thing?

I would speculate that it's easier to say that since you can't accurate say who is what and if they are or are not apart of the "naughty" list, that just do it for all.

With all the telemetry that's everywhere, I have a hard time believe that, but I'm going back into tin foil hat territory with pure speculation.

5. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

A good example of why I always wanted to buy hard copies of software and not use cloud based.

6. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Hard copies or digital copies aren't the issue. I'm seeing now where optical drives are getting to be less common, creating an ISO backup is actually more stable over a longer period of time (on average) then an optical disc (depending on which one you are talking about, depends on what the average lifespan of the disc, but that also depends on environmental conditions as well).

A perpetually licensed software can just as easily be deployed digitally as a subscription based software. They key thing is the subscription nature of it.

Even if I were to get a hard copy of the program, I would "rip" an iso image of it as a back up anyway. So why have to deal with the extra time that it takes to do that process?