• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News Via Executive Order, Adobe / Venezuela

WildWestDesigns

Yep, it happens 2 months after that order was put into effect.

This also highlights the joys of a subscription based system.

Now, I'm no lawyer and maybe that 2 months is just what it takes for somethings to work it's way through the system.

I, however, would not be happy about this and just another reason why not to go the subscription route (if able to go elsewhere).

shoresigns

Yes, why are they only implementing this now if the sanction took effect in August? Not only that, they're still giving Venezuelan customers a couple more weeks of service before they shut down all accounts.

The bigger question though, is why is Adobe shutting down all Venezuelan accounts, when the sanctions only apply to Venezuelan government entities? I'm sure some overly cautious lawyers and a cost-benefit analysis were involved, but it's still bullshit to cut off the entire country. A lot of people in Venezuela depend on Adobe software for their jobs.

WildWestDesigns

Yes, why are they only implementing this now if the sanction took effect in August? Not only that, they're still giving Venezuelan customers a couple more weeks of service before they shut down all accounts.

Is MS doing the same thing?

The bigger question though, is why is Adobe shutting down all Venezuelan accounts, when the sanctions only apply to Venezuelan government entities?

I would speculate that it's easier to say that since you can't accurate say who is what and if they are or are not apart of the "naughty" list, that just do it for all.

With all the telemetry that's everywhere, I have a hard time believe that, but I'm going back into tin foil hat territory with pure speculation.

WildWestDesigns

A good example of why I always wanted to buy hard copies of software and not use cloud based.

Hard copies or digital copies aren't the issue. I'm seeing now where optical drives are getting to be less common, creating an ISO backup is actually more stable over a longer period of time (on average) then an optical disc (depending on which one you are talking about, depends on what the average lifespan of the disc, but that also depends on environmental conditions as well).

A perpetually licensed software can just as easily be deployed digitally as a subscription based software. They key thing is the subscription nature of it.

Even if I were to get a hard copy of the program, I would "rip" an iso image of it as a back up anyway. So why have to deal with the extra time that it takes to do that process?

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
To make myself clearer. I mean by hard copy to mean "I own a physical copy that doesn't need internet access to check the license". It could use a dongle or just a serial number. The time based license that a subscription offers is the weak link.

Even though I prefer owning a copy, we do utilize subscription licensing for some of our software.

WildWestDesigns

I mean by hard copy to mean "I own a physical copy that doesn't need internet access to check the license". It could use a dongle or just a serial number.

A lot of people are hung up on "physical" or "hard" copy of software. Trust me, with an ISO of the disc, it's very easy to burn your own disc. I don't know why people are so hung up on that and I grew up in an analog world as well (tail end of it though). Hard or digital, either one will satisfy preference of either a dongle or a serial number that isn't checked against a server. Although, for a lot of software and even Window OS, it's been a long time since they fit that bill.

I don't mind so much about the serial number being checked against a server, as long as there is a means to deactivate it and reactivate it on another machine (like Adobe has).

Even though I prefer owning a copy, we do utilize subscription licensing for some of our software.

With regard to close source proprietary software, none of us ever really owned it. We just had more control with a perpetual license versus this subscription nonsense. I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with that at all.

Johnny Best

I would be alright with it if I lived down there, am still on version 6 for Photoshop and Illustrator. No way am I getting involved with their cloud concept software. Another reason to get Affinity products.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I would be alright with it if I lived down there, am still on version 6 for Photoshop and Illustrator. No way am I getting involved with their cloud concept software. Another reason to get Affinity products.
I dunno Johnny I think I would be more worried about hardware over software if I lived in Venezuela.
How hard I would have to look & where I might find something to eat.

Johnny Best

Venezuela needs to get rid of Maduro and get some food in there for sure and get the Adobe cloud people back up to speed.