Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Suggestions

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by rcook99, Dec 21, 2015.

1. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    Looking to upgrade my video card to handle 3 monitors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I don't see the need to spend $300-$600 for the design work I do.

Thanks
    RC

Tags:
  2. mbsstandoffs

mbsstandoffs New Member

Dec 21, 2015
    I would recommend a graphics card based on GeForce GTX 980 with 4 GB or RAM or more. The reason I recommend a NVIDIA card over an AMD card is that more mainstream graphics applications are optimized for NVIDIA graphics cards. You will be able to find several cards with these specifications on Amazon or Newegg in your price range.

3. MDKAOD

MDKAOD Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    mbs is right, you will need to be more concerned with VRam than horsepower for driving multiple screens.

4. rcook99

May 25, 2006
    NE
    I would prefer to NOT spend $300-$600 on a video card. Most of what I do is vector based and does not require a monster video card unless I am missing something. :Big Laugh

5. mbsstandoffs

mbsstandoffs New Member

Dec 21, 2015
    What applications do you regularly use?

6. rcook99

May 25, 2006
    NE
    Corel X-6 and Signlab P&C 9.1.

7. mbsstandoffs

mbsstandoffs New Member

Dec 21, 2015
    These 2 video cards will support multiple monitors and are below $300 and should fit your needs.

http://amzn.com/B012NOWEY0

http://amzn.com/B00NNXVPS2

8. Andriy

Andriy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    NY
  9. kheebl

kheebl Member

Mar 7, 2014
    MPLS, MN
    I have the GTX 970 and I love it

10. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    On stuff like this, I usually suggest a Workstation card, but there is a difference in costs. You don't really need how gaming cards render for our type of work.

Just like I usually suggest ECC Ram for our type of work, but that definitely has much more of a cost.

11. reQ

reQ Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Canada
    Unless you do 3d modeling, you don't need powerful video card. I use Corel & Photoshop at work and i use CPU based video, and have zero issues.

All what i invested most money in

- CPU
    - RAM
    - SSD

12. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I know one program that he uses and I wouldn't cheap out on video, unless he never runs realistic view. That can be demanding (Wilcom).

Unless this computer isn't going to be running Wilcom.

13. rcook99

May 25, 2006
    NE
    Evan,

It will be used to run Wilcom as well and yes I use realistic view as well. I also have PS on the system. Keep in mind the OS and all the programs are on the SSD while all other files are on 7600rpm drives with 16gb RAM on Win 7.

14. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Be careful with cpu based video on a 32bit program (which Wilcom is). As that affects how much RAM the program sees. A 32 bit program has a cap, while a 64 bit program can see much more. A portion of that cap may be "seen" by Wilcom as being taken up by that video usage. So while you might think that Wilcom is going to be able to use 3GB, it actually sees 2GB etc.

I had, at one time, had a video card that was setup like that. Complicated designs (like the recent dog pictures that I had posted in the embroidery forum) would take up to 5 minutes to re-render after an edit using realistic view and that was with not doing any other process (of my choosing, who knows what MS processes were also running at that time in the background).

This also isn't getting into the differences of cores between the two and how they each handle data that's being used.