• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vintage Aluminum Signs

slappy

There was a thread going about a month maybe two months ago on making old aluminum signs and i've searched signs101 today with

vintage
faux
aluminum

and i still can't find the thread. Any ideas where it went?? I heard aluminum and vinegar... but would like to verify this.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We use vinegar to prep certain substrates, the main one being galvanized. However, it cuts through a lot of stuff. Maybe it helps to cut paint and give the illusion of faded paint or something. Hope ya find it.

slappy

just basically how to make them look old or rustic. Like lake signs, cabin signs etc.

I'd like to start painting again. I haven't done it since high school. I'm wanting to get into aluminum and wooden signs. I read in signcraft that one guy uses dirt to age the paint. I tried it last year on something and it turned out great. I just want to get a little more info on what all can be done to distress signs