• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vintage Sign

High Octane

Sign I just did for a friend of mines bar....tried going with an old vintage beat to hell looking sign...just a decoration for the inside....It's a rock concert bar type of place...Pic kinda sucks...doesn't really do it justice. 3/4" MDO and just latex paints

Attachments

• vintage.jpg
    vintage.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 139
  • vintage2.jpg
    vintage2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 131

GP

Very cool - landed itself right into the "inspiration folder"

Can you expand on how you achieved the "beat to hell" effect?

Thanks -

GP

High Octane

Well it's kinda funny....I ran a haunted house this year and we had a bunch of odds and ends flat black painted wood left over....the boards sat outside for some time and the paint began to flake and age....I did the design...set up a paint mask and painted right over the flaking black paint...painted it and pulled off the mask..this took a bunch of paint off which worked great...I then took sand paper and roughed up areas of the sign...then I took old chains that I had and beat the hell out of it with a chain...then cleared over top of the sign to keep if from flaking off

animenick65

Not only a great design, but it sounds like you had a blast building it. Love creative projects like this. Can't say I've ever gotten to beat a sign with a chain before, but sounds fun.

Steve C.

Some other ideas for ageing are a blow torch and wire brush. Depending on
the paind used you can also spatter with lacquer thinner.