• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Banner Wrap Around Frame - Question...

Andrew Signs

Hi All,

So, I have a weird one that after many failed attempts feel like there must be someone out there with some ideas.

Basically we have a need for a printed vinyl banner (Flexi face style) to be wrapped around timber frames much like you would a canvas you paint on. It is then stapled to the back in the same way.

I think our problem arises from the size. When you do a small one or canvas you can manually stretch here and there it smooth it out.

Our minimum size is 1030x1800mm (3.5x6 feet roughly). Our basic process is print face down, tack on an edge and work your way around. If you manage to get the face smooth and tight, the edges are wrinkled.

Does anyone have a technique, tool or trick to do this efficiently? I've looked up a lot of canvas tools but are either to small or fiddle for this kind of process.

Open to ideas!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Stretch it like you would a canvas print:

Canvas%2BStaple%2BPattern.jpg

Wrinkles will be pulled out as you work your way from the centre outwards.

If this is ongoing work and you'll be doing a lot of volume, get one of these:
https://gallerystretcher.com/
2 minutes to stretch virtually any size.

Andrew Signs

Thanks Sign Me Up.

Do you think being a wood frame that if the edges aren't level/square or have any deflections this will also cause uneven tension yes?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sign me up has it.
Stuff that will help:
Make sure your frame is braced so it does not deflect inward on the long edges when you pull the banner tight.
Get an electric or pneumatic stapler or stick to the manual model if you want to develop the Kung fu grip of death.
Optional but a pair of canvas stretching pliers can help with the corner pulls. I made one using duck-billed vice-grip pliers.
We use 2x4 frames and stretch 13oz cheap banner up to about 16ft x 3.5ft for vehicle ramps we cover.
IMG-20200102-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200102-WA0008.jpg

Andrew Signs

Thanks GAC05

Any change you have a picture of the frame under it? I'm trying to work out if our frame is a bit rough on the edges.

I feel as if our edges are not 'perfect' so when we are pulling tension is working against us.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thanks GAC05

Any change you have a picture of the frame under it? I'm trying to work out if our frame is a bit rough on the edges.

I feel as if our edges are not 'perfect' so when we are pulling tension is working against us.
I'll see if I can find one. Not much to them, just rectangle frames with 2 center supports and angled corner braces.
The lumber I use is really rough as these are just temporary, we use the low cost, untreated framing 2x4s from the hardware store, no prep just put the best edges to the front and go.
I have one guy tension and a second run the gun. One person can do them but it is quicker and tighter with two.

wayne

sbergman

We are a contract picture framer, and stretch canvas all the time. We don't have any experience with stretching vinyl, but we do have a table specifically deigned for this sort of thing. If you are going to do it often you might consider buying one. Below is a link to the company that makes them.

https://machines-etc.com/

We buy our stretcher bar moulding from the following company (model SB9994). It works well with 40"x60" frames and I have included a picture of the braces in the middle as referenced above. This would be for indoor use only.
https://deltapictureframe.com/

Good luck!

Attachments

• stretcher bar frame.jpg
    stretcher bar frame.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 259

EbmerStorm

Hmm, it’s a common problem when it comes to vinyl or each kind of cloth-stretched frame. Calculating the vinyl and frame size and stretching it correctly is important. You also should find the right way to glue it or stick it together in another way. I have a small gallery in my hall; the hardest thing about arranging it was putting everything in the frame

DL Signs

Never go against the family
The stiffer the frame, the better. I used to do stuff like that for a company, and used both cross and corner bracing on larger ones. You don't want to use too heavy/ stiff banner material. Like the post above from GACO5, an economy 13oz scrim works good, flexible enough to stretch, not so heavy that you have issues pulling it tight, or have major problems with corners. Work from the center out so all your tension isn't in the corners where it'll tear easier.