• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl broke the glass?

Dice

Whats with the White Jungle Cat Theme? That is one hard to look at sign.

Total BS. We would probably all be out of business if this was true.

Could be a Bird, Could be a Vandal. Could be a piece of glass with micro fractures that just now popped. Could be Aliens.

It's not the Sign.

now one thing that i am reading in the description above that i want to add. the instance that i described above each panel WAS gasketed.

in regards to bigprinter i know people that swear that you if you leave an inch or two around the vinyl it is enough to allow the heat to escape. this doesnt make sense to me but there are ppl who swear that it works (in your area /az) myself i tend to error on teh side of caution. i would much rather use white vinyl , tint or perf. i dont like replacing glass. it is expensive.

just a sidenote personally i think it is in bad taste to critique someone's work when they have not asked for it. this is a thread about a technical issue.

R08

I am a little concerned as we just wrapped all 18 of our front windows in black vinyl (vehicle wrap) and our windows face the West. I am in Arizona, should I be concerned? These are huge windows. 96"Hx50"W. Should we take it down?

Are they thermal panes. (double panels of glass with a gap in between) then yes you should be worried.

Single pane... I'm pretty sure your ok.

dwt

I am a little concerned as we just wrapped all 18 of our front windows in black vinyl (vehicle wrap) and our windows face the West. I am in Arizona, should I be concerned? These are huge windows. 96"Hx50"W. Should we take it down?

If it is tempered and in a decent frame you might get away with it... for a while.

Mosh

I'm sorry I broke the glass. I could not stand looking at brush scrip. ;-}

just kidding. I say BS

JR.

I just had Gatorade come out my nose from laughing so hard. At that exact moment I was cutting Brush Script for one of my HillBilly customers!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Lotsa good theories going around, but I've been painting and vinyl decorating windows for a lon-n-n-ng time and never had one break from painting or vinyl coverage.

Even with gilding windows with black japan paint with varnish doesn't do it to very large areas. With today's gold leaf vinyls, I can't tell you how many windows we've done with whole black vinyl areas over top of gold leaf vinyl.

Yes, there are some instances when this might pop a window, but I think that's some manufacturer's way of getting out of stupid accidents like this one and blaming application failure.

I would venture to say, your vinyl had nothing to do with it breaking. Probably a competitor or some pissed off customer who didn't like the 'Attitude' their hairdresser gave them and threw a rock at the window.

Bigdawg

Just Me
now seeing the amount of coverage on teh window i doubt you caused the breakage. but yes vinyl can cause glass to break i have seen multiple proven instances where windows were sheeted out in black and the heat caused the glass to break.

It doesn't even have to be dark. We had a winter mural painted on our windows and it absorbed enough heat to crack the glass HUGE plate glass windows... I'm sure vinyl coverage would do the same.

OldPaint

it was THE UGLY..........of the sign that BROKE IT!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
had to sat it, now seriously.....................NO THE VINYL HAD NOTHING TO DO WIT IT CRACKING. end of the story. also the window is EAST FACING, so only gets morning sun.i see a small white line in the lower right corner, is that the CRACK???? if it is, then how in the he** does the vinyl have anything to do with it?

muledalton

All of you'll are correct! It is the ugliest sign I've ever done but it's exactly what the customer wanted. Thanks for the replies.

Sign_Boy

.i see a small white line in the lower right corner, is that the CRACK???? if it is, then how in the he** does the vinyl have anything to do with it?

Looks like part of the wire from the x-mas lights they have hanging around the window.

John L

The only time I have ever seen vinyl even remotely suspect in storefront glass breakage was with one that WAS also East facing but was fully sheeted with opaque black vinyl and was installed in a very "rigged" looking frame system also. Much like your example photo though, a shadowline cast by an outdoor overhang caused a summertime extreme temperature difference on the surface of the glass.

A stretch of an example, but if you think about using a torch and heating up one half of a steel plate, what will happen? It will warp.

Glass has much less tolerance to bending stress than steel. Plate Glass, trying to warp would fissure and crack. Also, most storefront glass units "float" in the frame to prevent any drag or stress on the edges. This is all designed for expansion.

Impossible to pin this on you with that little bit of coverage and a frame looking like that.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I've never seen it happen in my 20+ years experience.

Looking at your pic and the coverage of the graphics... No way.

tintshopplus

is it tempered or dual pane? over 50% absorption on dual pane is dangerous for cracks and seal failure. you can get away with a lot more in a single pane tempered piece. however, with less than 25% (im guessing) of the glass covered, there's no way you broke it. like said before, you'd have to cover the whole pane with something dark to have more than 50% absorption. i've heard of single pane tempered being blacked out and still holding together. expansion of gases in dual pane would more likely cause breakage. i think the construction sucks and/or someone is wanting to get that bill flipped. you didn't do this.

visual800

YES IT WILL! I have done it. Those older shopping centers have no rubber on them and just wobble in a aluminum channel. I placed large amounts of black vinyl on window with yellow lettering and it cracked the hell out of it! LOL

this of course was old OLD glass but legsson learned. i dont see here you put enough vinyl on this to crack it but who knows