• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Bunching Up?

DRW

Anyone come across a problem like this? I have a VP-540, printing on a 30 inch roll of vinyl. On the left pinch roller, the vinyl seems to bunch up around it, and roll up as it advances, causing the head to strike the raised vinyl. Tried a different roll of vinyl, and still seems to be doing it. I also cleaned the roller.

If I advance it with the down arrow, it bunches up still, but when I bring the vinyl back back with the up arrow, it prints just fine. It does not do it on a 15 inch or 54 inch roll. Thanks in advance for any info.

woolly

make sure the vinyl is 100% square and that the roll carrier is square, also found that if the pinch roller is too close to the edge it will try and bunch up as you call it.

splizaat

Is the vinyl seperating from the liner or is the vinyl AND liner bunching up? We had a similar problem with the vinyl seperating from the liner and bunching up near the roller - turned the heat down and it was fine.

DRW

No the vinyl isn't seperating, it just bunches up. I did however change the the rubber roller as Hog suggested, and it still does it. I think it may be a defective roll of vinyl as I tried other 30" rolls of material and doesn't appear to be doing it at all. (The possible defect is the roll has a wave every 15 inches or so/Orajet 3641)

Richard G

Do what I do Get your trusty 4 lb sledge hammer out and place on the floor next to your equipment and see how fast this will stop.
Just Kidding!!!

splizaat

Just on a hunch....is the vinyl that's bunching up Matte Finish? I've had matte finish ora do it before, and not ever gloss for some reason

Did you replace BOTH rubber pinch rollers or just one? Usually they suggest both

Another thing you can do is take a piece of masking tape, and tape over all the vacuum holes that the media does not cover. This will create a strong vacuum under the media to help hold it down