• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Burnt by the Sun

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Among other things, my print shop also makes flat panel signs mounted on aluminum sheets. I'm down here in the US Virgin Islands where its very hot all year round and the sun is intense. We've always had issues with the sun literally "burning" the printed vinyl and I'm wondering if there is any way to prevent this. I use General Formulations 201 HTAP vinyl with Argent Gloss UV Laminate from Mac Papers. I've attached a photo of what the sign on my shop looks like after about 5 years. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Attachments

• CPM Sign.jpg
    CPM Sign.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 577

tbullo

Superunknown
That lam. you listed has only 2-3 year lifespan. Maybe try a good cast lam. to get 5 years.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's from the protesters fighting against police brutality. They burn buildings down but couldn't burn your masonry walls.

highrolling24

Among other things, my print shop also makes flat panel signs mounted on aluminum sheets. I'm down here in the US Virgin Islands where its very hot all year round and the sun is intense. We've always had issues with the sun literally "burning" the printed vinyl and I'm wondering if there is any way to prevent this. I use General Formulations 201 HTAP vinyl with Argent Gloss UV Laminate from Mac Papers. I've attached a photo of what the sign on my shop looks like after about 5 years. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
WOW ! That is crazy that the sun can do that, it looks like it was in a fire. I live pretty far up North so I can't imagine what your hot summers are like if I think my summers are hot in WI. No wonder why my friend down there stays in his air conditioned house all summer. Sorry I don't have any idea how to help. Good Luck!

unclebun

If it take 5 years for that to happen, that is actually good performance for a calendared material. I would consider it normal age-related UV deterioration if it makes it 5 years. That's about how long we get up here.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Best way to prevent it is to buy better media. Better vinyl + cast lam.

With that said, you should probably only be giving a life span of about 5 years on printed goods anyway. Max 3 years if it’s a wrap.

Billct2

Use better materials and wash and wax a few times a years, but digital prints only last so long anyhow. Also work on the design, fabrication and installation.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It is the laminate doing that. There is an Oracal that does the same thing after a couple years. Use a quality vinyl & laminate and that will not happen.

2B

It is the laminate doing that. There is an Oracal that does the same thing after a couple years. Use a quality vinyl & laminate and that will not happen.

it is the 210G that is notorious for getting UV burnt
If you have the option between the 210G and NO lam, the NO lam will last longer

a good CAST Lam will greatly increaser the longevity of the design / print even on lower grade print material
Any South facing surfaces will ALWAYS fail first

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For sh!ts & giggles, do you have an early picture of that, so we could see what all deteriorated...... like a before and after ??

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Best bet is high end cast wrap film and cast laminate.
If you laminate twice you might get better results.
Charge price should by how long they need it.
Bruce

Christian @ 2CT Media

Switch to a non-pvc, and the problem pretty much goes away. PVC degrades and browns, even cast in high UV exposure. For our general signage we have switched to 3M 8048 which is a non-PVC product and have not had any burning issues since.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That thing turned brown well before the 5 year mark. No offense but if you're a sign company, why didn't you replace it well before it got to this point?

Jeremiah

I re did several signs this past year that were damaged by the hot sun. The black vinyl got so hot that it burned the base white paint all around any black vinyl on the sign. The vinyl was ok . Just the paint burned.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Thank you all for your interesting and informative replies! I did work with my distributor and the manufacturer and we move to a different adhesive vinyl and laminate.

You guys are the best!