Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Vinyl crackle/wrinkle problem

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by PS Reklame, Mar 26, 2020.

1. PS Reklame

PS Reklame New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Norway
    Hi

A customer of ours came in with his 2 vans we wrapped about 4 years ago with Avery SWF Orange. The WHOLE van's vinyl is crackled ( looks like a dried-up lake) regardless whether it's the roof, bonnet or wheel arches. See attached.

Never seen this before. Anyone have any ideas/theories?

Otherwise the actual wrapping is as it was delivered with no signs of loosening or fading.

Cheers
    Ian

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      4.6 MB
      Views:
    • B.jpg
      B.jpg
      File size:
      4.3 MB
      Views:
    • C.jpg
      C.jpg
      File size:
      4.7 MB
      Views:
    • D.jpg
      D.jpg
      File size:
      4.5 MB
      Views:
  2. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I don't use Avery but maybe it is just nearing the end of its life expectancy. From their datasheet, the solid color SWF films have a 3 to 5 year durability on non-vertical /horizontal surfaces, depending on the climate zone.
    Printed & laminated 3M wrap films here have about the same look when they are starting to fail.

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    is this the same van you posted about yesterday? I don't use Avery because of issues many years ago.

4. PS Reklame

PS Reklame New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Norway
    It is the same, yes. Thought I might get more response here.

We've used Avery a lot and had really good results, but this is something new. Other wraps have lasted a lot longer, but never had the crackle effect before. Could also simply be a bad batch from the factory.

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    good luck getting anything from Avery after 4 years!

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Tell them they got the Leatherette texture no extra charge....looks like it has reached the end of it's life, maybe a little early but within the stated range. It may be a combination of the color and exposure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Possible it could be a cleaning/waxing agent they used that was too harsh. Just the first thought that entered my head...

8. PS Reklame

PS Reklame New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Norway
    That's what I first thought.

9. PS Reklame

PS Reklame New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Norway
    Here in Norway's zone it's 5 years horizontal and 10 years vertical so it's a surprising result after 4 years. Not a great result for our company.

10. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

We have been seeing problems with Avery's longevity over the last 5 or 6 years. We still use their 1105 but not their lam. I would guess its the UV damage along with cleaning chemicals shortened the life.