• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Vinyl crackle/wrinkle problem

PS Reklame

Hi

A customer of ours came in with his 2 vans we wrapped about 4 years ago with Avery SWF Orange. The WHOLE van's vinyl is crackled ( looks like a dried-up lake) regardless whether it's the roof, bonnet or wheel arches. See attached.

Never seen this before. Anyone have any ideas/theories?

Otherwise the actual wrapping is as it was delivered with no signs of loosening or fading.

Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 261
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 268
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 267
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 241

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't use Avery but maybe it is just nearing the end of its life expectancy. From their datasheet, the solid color SWF films have a 3 to 5 year durability on non-vertical /horizontal surfaces, depending on the climate zone.
Printed & laminated 3M wrap films here have about the same look when they are starting to fail.

signage

is this the same van you posted about yesterday? I don't use Avery because of issues many years ago.

PS Reklame

is this the same van you posted about yesterday? I don't use Avery because of issues many years ago.
It is the same, yes. Thought I might get more response here.

We've used Avery a lot and had really good results, but this is something new. Other wraps have lasted a lot longer, but never had the crackle effect before. Could also simply be a bad batch from the factory.

Billct2

Tell them they got the Leatherette texture no extra charge....looks like it has reached the end of it's life, maybe a little early but within the stated range. It may be a combination of the color and exposure.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Possible it could be a cleaning/waxing agent they used that was too harsh. Just the first thought that entered my head...

PS Reklame

I don't use Avery but maybe it is just nearing the end of its life expectancy. From their datasheet, the solid color SWF films have a 3 to 5 year durability on non-vertical /horizontal surfaces, depending on the climate zone.
Printed & laminated 3M wrap films here have about the same look when they are starting to fail.
Here in Norway's zone it's 5 years horizontal and 10 years vertical so it's a surprising result after 4 years. Not a great result for our company.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We have been seeing problems with Avery's longevity over the last 5 or 6 years. We still use their 1105 but not their lam. I would guess its the UV damage along with cleaning chemicals shortened the life.