• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Cutter advice

dirtracer15

Hello, I am new to the board. I am looking to get some info on some vinyl cutters..what are some good reliable kinds? I was looking at a ProCut CR1200 48" Vinyl Cutter. Does anybody know anything about these?

PGSigns

Welcome to the board. Tell us a little about yourself and what you plan to do with the cutter and we can give you better advice on them.
Jimmy

CS-SignSupply

You will also need to consider the software you plan to use for your design and layout... Not all play well with the ProCut.

Contact me if you wish as I would be happy to help.

Bly

I have a Summa D120SE and it is awesome. Tracks and cuts really well. OPOS too for cutting printed decals.
I also have a real old Graphtec FC2100 which served me well for a long time. I still have it for a backup.

dirtracer15

Okay well see, all of you are very helpful because I just have no idea where to start. I plan on doing race car graphics with the cutter...I have the Adobe Suite on my Mac right now. That is what I will be using. So, any advice would be great! Thank you!

PGSigns

Are you going to be doing them just for your self or for others? If just for your self, you may find that you are not saving any money once you get everything you need and see the time involved in learning to do this right. If you plan to do them for others good luck. Either way read all you can about the tools processes and materials and before you buy a cutter find someone in your area doing this kind of work and see if you can get a part time job as a helper. There is so much more to this than a piece of sofware and a cutter.
Jimmy

gnatt66

i bought a qe60+ from Sign Warehouse(rebranded graphtec without the ARMS system)...got a great deal on it, and it included lxi master plus(rebranded flexi) and a bunch of freebies for 1395.00. worth it for the software alone, imo. call them at the end of the month and swing a deal...

WAY faster than the chinese cutters and it tracks longer than 3 feet too! ( i had a creation p-cut)

darkdan

Hello, I am new to the board. I am looking to get some info on some vinyl cutters..what are some good reliable kinds? I was looking at a ProCut CR1200 48" Vinyl Cutter. Does anybody know anything about these?

Take it from someone that made that mistake, don't go down that road.

royster13

i bought a qe60+ from Sign Warehouse(rebranded graphtec without the ARMS system)...got a great deal on it, and it included lxi master plus(rebranded flexi) and a bunch of freebies for 1395.00. worth it for the software alone, imo. call them at the end of the month and swing a deal...

That price is higher than the typical online price of U$1,295.00 for the Graphtec CE5000-60.....Is the LXI Master software a lot better than the software that comes with the Graphtec?....

gnatt66

That price is higher than the typical online price of U$1,295.00 for the Graphtec CE5000-60.....Is the LXI Master software a lot better than the software that comes with the Graphtec?....

i didnt know any design software came bundled with a graphtec in that price range...but i could be wrong?

i wanted it cause i had used flexi before and knew/liked it. it's been a great machine..i've cut rolls and rolls of vinyl with it and it's less than 2 years old.

http://www.signsupply.com/Hardware/Graphtec/ce-5000.asp

that sure isnt a full functioning sign software package like the deal i got. as i recall i got lxi master plus, estimate 2.0, a 'starter' banner package with a roll of prefab 13oz banner, several short rolls of 651, etc etc.maybe 6 slip art cd's (some of which im sure sucked). i've used the sign shape CD several times, sold 3 $55 dollar banners off of the freebie stuff, etc etc.

p.s. im no huge fan of SW..it's just what i happened to buy.

bobmaggio

I got the same package from SW about 18 mos ago I paid $1,495.00. Guess your a better haggler than me!! I have cut letters for 12 foot banners and had no problems. I like the LXI software it has a lot of good features.
My first cutter was a chinese cutter with proprietary software and it "didn't play well with other software"
You should buy the best equipment you can afford and buy from a company that will be there when you call with a prob or question.

royster13

So I phone up Sign Warehouse to ask some questions about their 1395.00 package (#1) and before I knew it I was up to the 1,943.00 package (#4) with ARMS......They are "smooth" but I still think it is a good value....The advanced software and ARMS may be more than I want right now but it will be there when I do need it.....

PS.....I am sure their "SPAM" will start soon....lol....

gnatt66

So I phone up Sign Warehouse to ask some questions about their 1395.00 package (#1) and before I knew it I was up to the 1,943.00 package (#4) with ARMS......They are "smooth" but I still think it is a good value....The advanced software and ARMS may be more than I want right now but it will be there when I do need it.....

PS.....I am sure their "SPAM" will start soon....lol....

see, i got the #4 (but with a qe60+ instead of a branded graphtec) for $1395.00. (it really was the last day of the month)

imo, with a 24 inch cutter, you dont need arms. its too small to bother. if you are going bigger, that's another story.

I have a Roland VP300i as well and use both daily. and if you were to eventually get a Mutoh or another large format printer that wasnt a print/cut you'd get a large plotter to go with it and sell your 24 inch to a race car guy :)

onesmf

For cutting vinyl, you likely will not go wrong with a middle of the road package. Obviously, your future intensions and your sales skills will determine the use of your machine. In my opinion, cutting vinyl is not a great demand on most machines. It is a relatively basic opertation, however you need to keep in mind the growth of your production and your business success. It is always better to spend a bit more for a better machine up front when starting out if you anticipate a demand for your product. The hard part is creating a demand for your product.

Mosh

Someone must have charged him too much for his numbers last year......
I see so many racers try and get in the sign biz, more to it than having a plotter.