Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl Cutter[ing] Problem HELP !

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Replicator, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    For the past week or so I've been getting some lines cutting like they are perf cuts (ODD) . . .

Roland GX-24 is the cutter and we have replaced the cutting protection strip, blade holder and blade in an attempt to correct this issue.

Does anyone have a clue what this might be, or has anyone had this problem and resolved it ?

Thanks for reading !

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. joeshaul

joeshaul Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Looks pretty interesting.
    Since it looks like it does it only in one direction, I would guess it's some sort of sensor malfunction. Never owned a GX24, but if it has a left and a right sensor, the right one may be dirty/faulty. If the encoder bar was whacked, you'd get the same for the right to left motion, but this looks like it's isolated to left to right motions only (assuming the blade starts at the upper right, cuts left, down, right, then up).

Just out of curiosity, what does it sound like when it's moving in that direction? IE: Does it sound like it's pulling the blade up, moving, putting it down intentionally, or does it make any kind of stutters or groans?

3. Air Art Girl

Air Art Girl Very Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    it does make a low pitched noise when it moved in that direction. It makes it in the direction when the vinyl rolls forward and it is cutting.

4. Replicator

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Got it figured out . . . Believe it or not it was as simple as removing a 60° blade and putting the 45° blade back in the blade holder !

This cutter almost ONLY cuts thermo-flex vinyl, not standard vinyl and apparently the vinyl just doesn't like 60° blades . . .

:doh:

5. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    I don't see how that could make it cut like that.

6. Replicator

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I don't either, but it did . . . and we're glad it works right now !

7. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    I guess I can see how thermoflex could snag like that.

8. Pacific Coast Sign

Pacific Coast Sign Active Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Check the old blade...it may have a "chunk" broken from the tip area...this is common, it doesn't take much of a piece missing to make the blade chatter across the vinyl.