• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl cutter size?

Tash

I've been in the sign business 14 years but been removed from it for around 5 years, when I left digital media was taking out many out the plotter's uses, or at least that's what it seemd liked at the time.

Looking to get a graphtec plotter for airbrushing applications, but being in the biz for a while I wouldn't mind making money with vinyl window lettering ect. (I'm pretty handy at vectorization). So for the airbrushing I wouldn't need that big of a plotter, but for other applications am I better off going for a bigger size? 30" or 48"? Trying to figure out if spending the money on the bigger plotter is going to be worth it. I see now there are wholesale vendors for RTA.

Also looking at getting a used one if possible but searching online has been fruitless, are plotters still that hot of a commodity?

Appreciate any replies.

Salmoneye

I have a 54" but most of the cut vinyl that I do is on 30" material. I wouldn't take much work for a nice plotter to pay for itself. I would go bigger, nobody ever says "damn, I wish I had a smaller plotter".

FatCat

If you're certain 99% of what you will do would be just paint mask and the occassional lettering project, decal, etc. then a 30" machine should suffice. If you're going to get a printer, then you need a cutter with optical registration to match your printer to do contour cuts.

If you're just cutting, I would take a hard look at an older Roland CX-300, 400 or 500. (Do not go with a 24" Roland as they are not built the same.) I had them before I got my Summa and they are easy to use and built like tanks. Should be able to easily pick one up for less than $1k these days.

thewvsignguy

We have two older SW GRC-61's (24"), a 24" Roland and a SW Q series 54" (graphtec) cutter, as long as you know how to set up panels in your cutting software the 24" will work fine. You can go larger but do you really want to lay down a 30", 48" or even a 60" wide piece of vinyl? Plus most vinyl is 15", 24", 30" or 48". Just do not get a cheap POS from ebay.....

Jillbeans

I get by fine with my 24" Graphtec.
I wouldn't want to handle anything bigger than that anyway.
Love....Jill

WildWestDesigns

I have a 24" Roland and it's done very well for me. I might have gotten lucky though. Like Jill there isn't much of a need for me to go bigger.

OldPaint

i got a 30" ROLAND CX-300. that said, i mostly run 24". i got a few 20" and 15" rolls i run thru it. 30" is great for paper pounce patterns or cheap paper banners.

Pat Whatley

I've got three 24" plotters and maybe once a year I wish I had a larger plotter.

There's a Summa D60 for sale in the classified section...dang good plotter and a good price on it.