• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Cutting Program what works well?

grex

Just getting started, I don't have $1000 for a good vinyl cutting software program. Right now I'm just cutting vinyl.

I use about 4 different programs, a couple share ware and Flexi Starter.

Each of them does something well that the others don't do.

My issues is having files in 4 different formats is a pain. Whats one good program I can try and embrace to go forward that will grow with me as my needs change?

wes70

Design in Coreldraw or Illustrator and send to Flexistarter. For cutting vinyl nothing else is needed.

njshorts

I used SignCut for years before switching to Flexi 10- it's a pretty good program. www.signcutpro.com.

FWIW, you'd get better responses if you explained why you're using 4 formats instead of one (for what you're doing, EPS would work) and what these programs do/don't do that you need.

OldPaint

design in corel, CUT IN COREL.............nothing else is needed)))))))))))benn doing this since 1993!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S'N'S

Like OP said, you can cut from corel if you have a Roland (don't know about chinese plotters) Haven't used this, but a old signwriter friend does and that's SignBlazer, its free to download and use as there is no support for it anymore.

Download here http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/22/software-downloads--updates

Note. this is a fully functional program but watch the video clip BEFORE installing, it shows how to diable the registration part.....and yes its legit, it just stops the pop up asking for registration...as there is nowhere to reg now.

grex

I use four programs because I have previous artwork from a business I took over. So I have files that I use in 4 formats. I won't continue doing this.

I have Flexi Starter, Roland Cut Studio, Dr. Stika and Sign Blazer. Ironically, sign Blazer works best for cutting. No issues at all. I sometimes get strange lines and arcs in Flexi and I have to redo the job. Dr. Stika and Cut Studio, I don't cut out of, but a few design features are very quick and easy in those programs.

I've got a Roland Cutter and 2 Budget models.

I'd love to design in Illustrator and cut from Illustrator, but isn't Illustrator expensive as well? Illustrator would be the ideal solution. I can do all my design in there. Cut what I need and out source my print jobs and I'm good to go.

OldPaint

as for formats, corels new CMX is a winner. the older CDR is good also as for size of file. COREL will import a lot of formats. EPS or AI is also transferable files to most any program. programs like FLEXI, SIGN CUT, SIGNBLAZER save in a "native" format specifically for that program, but most give you the chioce to save as an EPS or AI. again COREL IMPORTS most files without any problems. i have been cuttin vinyl since 92-93, i was cutting from COREL 3............to roland. i had a sign specific program called LETTER ART 6.0, with a dongle, but is was so a pain in the butt............i did most of my stuff in corel. i also had a bridge program called PRO-CUT, was ok but then as i said IT WAS A BRIDGE PROGRAM, designed in corel, then had to send to PRO-CUT to cut....time waster since i cut right from COREL)))))

WildWestDesigns

i also had a bridge program called PRO-CUT, was ok but then as i said IT WAS A BRIDGE PROGRAM, designed in corel, then had to send to PRO-CUT to cut....time waster since i cut right from COREL)))))

I used to use Ai and then go to CutStudio to cut, but like you I just go from Ai to my GX and it works just fine.

phototec

I'd love to design in Illustrator and cut from Illustrator, but isn't Illustrator expensive as well? Illustrator would be the ideal solution. I can do all my design in there. Cut what I need and out source my print jobs and I'm good to go.

Yes, the latest version can be pricey, however starting out you DON"T need the latest and greatest. You can buy Illustrator 10 full version with license for like $60 on ebay, someone just did.

Although I have CS5 running on my design workstation, I send a lot of vinyl jobs to my Graphtec from another computer running Illustrator 10 and use Cutting Master.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...n_0&rt=nc&si=VlekSLX%2F4325LypyNwHandPxOzU%3D

:peace!: