• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Decals fading from general wear

ATW

Good afternoon,
My main use of vinyl is for decals that either go on to water bottles, coffee mugs, thermos containers, and hard hats.

My issue is that they fade over time due to the fact that the decal gets handled a lot. Such as a water bottle. It'll get held often and then thrown in a back pack or the dishwasher. Hard hats sometimes get worn out by constantly be taken on and off.

Now my question to anyone out there is if you had any luck with a certain vinyl that seems to hold the ink for extended periods of time. I ask this because i know i can laminate, but, I've seen decals out there that are not laminated and seem to last quite a bit longer then mine when applied at the same time.

Also, do you suppose a calendared will wear better then a cast?

Currently i am using Mac Tac Calandered and it wears better then oracal Calendared.

If there is a vinyl out there where you have had good luck please let me know.
I'm constantly searching for a better product.
Thanks

Billct2

Those decals that last longer may not be inkjet.
You want them to last longer you'll have to laminate.

Laminate Laminate Laminate. The others don't lamintae because they have a better set of inks for the job. Changing your vinyl is not going to magically make the ink any better. You have to laminate.

artofacks1

I printed alot of decals on my edge fx and placed them on cups, water bottles and glasses to decorate. No laminate just print to vinyl and place. It has done great not one faded decal or bad ahesive. Its been at least 7 months since we started the test.

ATW

The ink huh?
That is an unexpected answer. Although, makes sense now.
Currently i use a Roland Sp300 and use ECO-SOL MAX inks.

Perhaps i can get a laminater or use a spray. I often do thousands of stickers at a time.

Thanks for the responses

ATW

Today i went and bought clear sheild gloss and will try this out and see how it works.
I will post results soon.
Thanks.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Look at a thermal resin printer if you want durability and no laminate. Or if you stay solvent/latex a cheap 30" liquid laminator will speed things up for you.