• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Express q30 question, quick response needed please!!

kevint2005

I'm going to look at and possibly buy a vinyl express q30 cutter today after work, and i'm wondering if it's equipped with ARMS system for contour cutting bc the guy has no clue. He's selling it for his wife's friend.

It does not have the ARMS sticker on the cutter like some do that i've seen online but on it's menu the guy sent me a picture of, it does have it showing up there.. Not sure if it's something that just shows up on all of those models with or without it though so I just wanted to see if any of you might could give me some more info on it before I drive 2 hours to check it out.

J Hill Designs

'with available ARMS' says to me that its an upgrade. might want to call sign warehouse to see if its an option or stock

kevint2005

Yeah i've read about it all day on signwarehouse and i'm like you, i'm thinking it's just an upgrade on some models and since this particular one doesn't have the sticker/badge on it saying ARMS it kind of concerns me. But like i said, he did send me a picture of it turned and on the menu it does say ARMS, so that also makes me kinda think that it does have it. He said he paid over $3000 for it new a few years ago so if that's true it was priced like it should have that feature.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not to throw a monkey wrench in, but if he's selling it for his wife's friend..... how would he have paid $3,000 for it new ??

Be careful. :omg:

kevint2005

I was just relaying that info off of his ad, i didn't mean to say it out of context like that! But he said they paid over 3,000 for it new.

Jburns

be careful with ARMS and the Q series. I have read that others could not get it working ( may have not had the option though).. also check software compatibility.

If your laptop is ready to go, well worth a test onsite

Jamco

Arms sensor

Had same issus with q30 I purchased as part of another sign shop buyout. Guy swore it had ARMS, but doesn't. Easy to check remove cover over cutter head and if there is an empty space to the left of blade assembly and an open 4pin socket on upper board it's not there. SW quoted me 500 for parts only but made it sound like it wasn't a good idea to attempt yourself even though I've been an electronics tech for 40+ years! Makes me believe even if installed they may not have had success with that model with arms. Told me just buy a new cutter! Hope this helps someone else looking at used gear......

Jeff

kevint2005

Jeff,
Thanks so much for the info, i'll definitely check the cutter head out. Did your cutter have the ARMS category on the menu even though it didn't actually have it physically installed on the machine?

knucklehead

When I looked at one (new) several years ago, they told me the vinyl express cutters did not come from the factory with the ARMS, it is always a signwarehouse added feature. If it has it, how was it installed, did Jimbo the shipping guy, install it before shipping it out, etc?

Imakesigns

RUN!!! signwarehouse customer service and tech support totally suck. they wont even support the products they sell directly, still under warranty. nobody else can support the product. save some money and buy elsewhere. you've been warned.