• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Express R31 vs Desay Master Tiger 1000

thewvsignguy

desay does suck period, don't get the R31 either. If your going the vinyl express route, at the very least get a endura series, get the endura plus if you can spend the extra $$$

AUTO-FX

Vinyl Express kinda sucks as well. It's just a re-branded graphtec.

Why would you say that? It's a GRAPHTEC. It is a good plotter. I got a good deal on mine (Q100) at Signwarehouse.
Unless you're really talking about the enduracut series and not the VE series.

mikey-Oh

Why would you say that? It's a GRAPHTEC. It is a good plotter. I got a good deal on mine (Q100) at Signwarehouse.
Unless you're really talking about the enduracut series and not the VE series.

Well... I say that because for about 2 years our Wasatch RIP would not recognize the dumbed-down Graphtec. Supposedly identical machines, aside from some variations in the firmware and stickers on the machine itself. We'd had difficulty cutting anything decalwise beyond 12' (especially laminated w/ oragurad 210.) Dug through our beloved forums, here, and found that it was possible to add multiple reg marks to a cut through Wasatch. Yet the RIP would not see our "Graphtec." (VQ160 was not even an option) After a bit of badgering to Wasatch, they claimed it was not supported. Then allow 3 months for our subscription/contract to end.... low and behold Wasatch now supports the VinylExpress!! All we need to do was renew our agreement.

We paid the money and upgraded. Just think people should know it's not apples to apples with the Graphtec and a Vinyl Express. More like cooking/sautéing with real onions vs. onion powder. Also, always make sure it's supported before you purchase.
:smile:

wes70

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a couple grand to throw down on a cutter, so something more budget will have to do for the small jobs.

Look around for a used "quality" plotter in S101 classifieds, ebay, craiglist, or equipment suppliers.

Jim Doggett

Desay sucks... is vinyl express any better? At all? Even a little?

Yes. Much. We've sold thousands and have many happy customers. You can ask and see some of the comments here: http://www.signwarehouse.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-Vinyl-Cutting-Q-amp-A

I agree with others that our EnduraCUT, and Graphtec OEM cutters are better. But for the price, R Series cutters cannot be beat. They're made by China's first cutter maker (RedSail), and metal, not cheap molded plastic.

Jim Doggett

Well... I say that because for about 2 years our Wasatch RIP would not recognize the dumbed-down Graphtec. :smile:

Essentially you need it upgraded with ARMS to do contour cutting. Graphtec cutters are nothing short of amazing. And we have made them affordable to many more business by scaling the feature. Not dumbed down. But like a car: choose the special features you wish. Or just get a GREAT cutter for an even greater price, if vinyl cutting is all you do. No one else does that. It's a SignWarehouse exclusive.

And it doesn't end there. You get us. We have support people on staff 7-days a week. We have a knowledge-base and online help that sets the standard. Other companies send people to our support site. We have a Community Forum that is monitored by me and our support team 7 days a week. And SignWarehouse pays guys like me to be here, too. Jerry Barrax and I are paid members of this site, and have been for years.

There are many big companies. But SignWarehouse invests more than any of them, I daresay.

Jim Doggett

Our Q160 has ARMS.
60% of the time it works, every time.

It should work 100% of the time, if the sensitivity of the sensor it properly set to the ambient light in your cutting area. Also the back edge of the print needs about 5 inches of margin, so that the material-out sensor does not stop the job. A couple of workarounds is to tape a scrap onto the back of the print, or cover the material-out sensor.

Get with out support folks at support@signwarehouse.com or 800-966-1783 if you're having trouble with contour, or any cutting, for that matter.

Best,

Jim

Flame

Vinyl Express kinda sucks as well. It's just a re-branded graphtec.

Wait....so you're saying Graphtec sucks? They make awesome equipment dude.

cutting anything decalwise beyond 12'

CASH MONEY if you can show me a machine that will cut a digitially printed, laminated decal perfectly at 12'.... Unlesss you're track fed, it ain't happening. Too many variables, starting with just stretching!

Conundrum

Yes. Much. We've sold thousands and have many happy customers. You can ask and see some of the comments here: http://www.signwarehouse.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-Vinyl-Cutting-Q-amp-A

I agree with others that our EnduraCUT, and Graphtec OEM cutters are better. But for the price, R Series cutters cannot be beat. They're made by China's first cutter maker (RedSail), and metal, not cheap molded plastic.

Thank you for responding. I think I'm going to purchase this today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YPDWHQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1D0M4Y96D8B84

mikey-Oh

Thanks for all the followup Jim! Can't complain about your companies service or the product for that matter. She's been, and continues to be a decent machine. Miles and miles of vinyl she's cut.

Wait....so you're saying Graphtec sucks? They make awesome equipment dude.

No experience with a Graphtec, but everything I've read makes me wish we had one. Wait, I have one technically. Yet the firmware and the production station don't let on it's a Graphtec... and that's where my aggravation is occasionally placed.

CASH MONEY if you can show me a machine that will cut a digitially printed, laminated decal perfectly at 12'.... Unlesss you're track fed, it ain't happening. Too many variables, starting with just stretching!

I understand why it doesn't hit every single time... can be frustrating though, especially in a time crunch. Though, wouldn't the day-job get boring if everything worked without issue. :smile:

Jim Doggett

You can get there, but it is a major pain in the neck. As you mentioned, media elongation occurs when laminating. (plus your printer won't print 12 feet exactly; scale variations between the printer and cutter are a given)

So you gotta measure what 12 feet is, exactly, after lamination. Then use that variable to calibrate the cutter's x-axis tracking distance using the thickness of the laminated print as the basis of the tracking length. Thicker materials track further. We all know that from the first time we cut a drop-shadow in cast and the primary element in calendered, or vice versa. (they do not match up)

If you do all this, then yeah, you can go long, accurately. But it's a pain. Thus, I'd advise...

If it's a decal that's 12 feet, hand cut it. It'll be way faster.

If it's a bunch of decals going out 12 feet, split it into 2 or 3 cut jobs. Easy, quick and accurate.

My $0.02,

Jim