• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl express

steve hernandez

I'm new to sign making, i just bought a used vinyl express 12" and signlab5. I have no problem getting vinyl to cut with my desktop but am not able to cut with my laptop. My laptop has only usb ports, I've tried a docking station with serial and parallel ports with no luck, also a usb to serial and usb to parallel cables with no luck. There must be something that I'm not understanding here. i would love some help. thanks

WVB

Your only option would be to use the usb to parallel cable. Unless your laptop has a serial port you can use it if your plotter/software support it. In your preferences of signlab make sure you select the usb port and not parallel port (LPT1).

freeportsign

I use Flexi and i had a problem where i could not cut from my laptop and it turned out to be that Flexi uses TCPIP (as a Dial up internet connection would use) and i use High Speed Internet and did not have it installed.

geb

Steve, I would go to the cadlink's website(signlab) and search the knowledgebase there. I remember seeing something about usb ports and setting them up in the past.

You'll have to sign up first, but it's free, and then get into the knowledge base and search for usb, laptops etc.

www.cadlink.com

George