• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl falling of the wall

MimakiUser

There had been a couple of jobs which I had problems lately. On one I had problems with getting the vinyl to stick to the walls. On two others the corners, tops and the bottoms of the wall mural started peeling off the wall after a couple of days.

I used Automark's calendered 230 and Avery's calendered MPI 2903 for these jobs. They were applied on a flat surfaces painted with a glossy latex paint and installed by professional installers. I made some research and learned that the problem can be potentially related with freshly painted walls that are not cured completely and certain types of paint that vinyl will not stick to. It is very difficult to convince costumer to repaint his walls. Are there any long-term adhesive product that can be applied to strengthen the bond between walls and adhesive film to solve issues like this?

Thank you,

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
For some murals we have used PhotoTex with no problems. For many long term murals where they will be touched by people etc we have done those on laminated 3M 180.

Jack Knight1979

I had this happen at a hospital. It was embarrassing. The vinyl would not stick to the wall. No matter what I did. Turns out the hospital used a paint that is an anti-mark/graffitti paint. Basically it had some kind of teflon or other phobic material in it that made for easy clean up of marks and crayons. It also made for non sticking graphics.

showcase 66

I had this happen at a hospital. It was embarrassing. The vinyl would not stick to the wall. No matter what I did. Turns out the hospital used a paint that is an anti-mark/graffitti paint. Basically it had some kind of teflon or other phobic material in it that made for easy clean up of marks and crayons. It also made for non sticking graphics.

Had this happen in a Daycare. teflon paint not a good thing.

I was told by an older paint guy to wait minimum 2 weeks and preferably 3 weeks or longer in more humid areas.

It takes that long to fully cure.

i ran into this problem a few times lately using avery 2611, called dealers called manufacture traced the problem to the paint, it was a sherwin williams latex that had only been on two weeks Avery suggested only applying the wall film to walls with paint that has been fully cured for 30 days

gnemmas

We always test the vinyl on the wall first. It is the adhesive not compatible with the paint, cured or not.

MimakiUser

Seal-it pen permenent edge sealer is something that I have been recomended. However, it doesn't seem to be practical to apply to large surfaces.

TammieH

Spray adhesive? Yes, we had to do that on one job, after the fact of course... the guys pulled the vinyl back ...small areas at a time (edges) masked and sprayed adhesive. Of course wait until it dries entirely before squeegeeing vinyl back down.

ICeMAnAbk

I had an issue like this a long time ago.

was lettering political signs. a DIY job to try and save money since they have a spending limit usually. unfortunatly, they used latex.

We used Acrylic... (I think). cleared, afterwards, lettered. it worked. A more experienced paint guy might have some advice for paint with teflon in it. There might be a specific kind of paint to use on the surface to assure it bonds to the teflon paint and also agrees with your vinyl.

Sucks. I feel your pain man. I think we've all been there.

Billct2

If the graphic is completely covering the wall I would think the quickest simpilist and cheapest option would be to repaint the wall. I'd use something like Kilz that is a sealer/primer, but would fisrt talk to the original paint manufacturer.