• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for football helmets?

imagep

We have been asked to cut some decals for a Jr. High football team's helmets. We have actually done this before for a bullcrap "semi-pro" team, we had to print their decals and then contour cut them, we used 3651 vinyl and laminated it, never got any complaints, we even got repeat orders.

But I am a little more concerned about this job where we will be just using cut vinyl with no laminate, and for a real team. Is there a special vinyl that I should be using for this?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
There is a special vinyl and its pretty thick, I will see if I can locate any for you but I too have done that for my local pee wee football teams and normal vinyl sucks for that application.

petepaz

i think it is call convex or something like that
do a search there are a few threads on that
the vinyl is made to conform to the helmet and i think there is a special thicker lam
to take the abuse

Rooster

+2 for the convex vinyl. I use it with the 12 mil remington laminate.

The same combo also works well for dirt bike graphics.

Sign Works

Graphic Marking System makes Convex and they have a peticular vinyl for helmets. You can order Convex directly from Graphic Marking System or from their distributor.

http://www.graphicms.com/

http://www.convexvinyl.com/about.html

I just used Convex High Bond vinyl for the first time and was very pleased with the results. First it printed beautifully on my Versacamm, then I laminated with Oraguard 290 lam film and contour cut, rip weeded the batch of decals in one swipe no problem. What was most impressive was the aggressive bond to HDPE (high density polyethylene), you know the plastic that nothing is supposed to stick to. As directed I cleaned the app surface with denatured alcohol and the bond was very good.

Also Scott at Graphic Marking Systems was a pleasure to deal with, from ordering the product to offering free samples, to giving me a follow-up call to see how the product worked for this peticular project. Graphic Marking Systems Definetly gets an A+ in my book. :thumb:
https://www.shopgms.com/graphicms/products.html

iceracer

A neighbour has kids in hockey here in Toronto and was talking to the coaches about putting team logos on the helmets. He was met with some opposition from the powers that be.

Their concern was whether the decals would void warranties and other such things on the helmets.

Anybody know/heard of similar concerns?

Thanks, Terry

jeph4e

Convex GearWrap is made for Football helmets and has been used extensively by helmet manufacturers over the years (i.e. the name Convex comes from the helmets).

Big Dog Graphic Film is a reverse print film we make that hasn't been around as long but has some field experience.

If you have any questions just give us a call. We've been in the football film business for a very long time.

Most are done on the Gerber System but we have Inkjet films too.

Jeff