Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl For Walls

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by kroger, Jun 18, 2019.

1. kroger

kroger Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I have to install a companies logo and slogan in their store on a few interior painted walls. What type of vinyl would you recommend? I have used regular vinyl on walls years ago and it peeled the drywall when they (family) took it off. I looked at a supplier that sells vinyl for walls and it seemed quite expensive. It will be up for a long period of time I assume but I wouldn’t want it to peel drywall if they decided to take it off. Thanks for your help!

Tags:
  2. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    what is expensive the vinyl/sub-straight or replacing the drywall? the longer it is up the cheaper for the customer, longer message viewed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kroger

kroger Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Ontario
    The actual wall vinyl seemed pricey compared to a calendered vinyl. I just wasn’t sure if over time maybe the regular calendered vinyl loosens and would be okay to use.

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Pretty much all vinyl made for walls has a removable adhesive that will eventually turn permanent If left up for long enough, usually this is a year.

When we do permanent wall graphics, we print a a higher end 3.mil calendared, such as oracal 3651, 3M 40c, Arlon 4600 etc. Yes it will damage the drywall underneath when removed, but so will the removable Wall vinyl if left on too long.

The other option is phototex, it's a.little bit more $ but it works really well, and shouldn't damage the wall when removed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I have had good luck with Avery 2611 and removed it easily without damage after 2 years on two occasions.

6. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Is wide format printing not your main business?

7. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I've had issues with 2611 removing itself after 24 hours, so your results may vary lol.

8. particleman

particleman Member

Feb 1, 2008
    IN
    I've said it many times from experience, just use Phototex. When someone recommends a wall vinyl keep in mind the type of machine, border they are using, type of wall, etc all factor into whether you get the dreaded call "my graphics are peeling off". What worked for them may not work for you. From years and years of experience phototex just works basically every time, I've personally used it on solvent, eco solvent, and latex.

9. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    every vinyl eventually becomes permanent.. even if it says it doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. chadorama

chadorama Owner & Sole Employee

Dec 20, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Photo Tex. I've used it on a bunch of walls and never had a damage problem. I've even removed a Photo Tex graphic that was up for 2 years and put a backing on it and re-installed at another location. Most amazing material for wall graphics ever!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Mojave Sign Ad is great for walls and windows. We have had some signs up in our lobby for 5 years and they still peel off, although it gets harder every year.

12. kroger

kroger Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Ontario
    I do have a printer but this customer just wants white lettering and their logo is one colour. Maybe I will try phototex. Thanks for all the input!