Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl for windows

Discussion in 'Materials' started by msenjur, Feb 3, 2010.

1. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    This guy is asking, where he could get these kind of decals? Vinyl should be able to stick in the back of the window. So, print must be on the same side.

I heard, that solvent printer cant do this kind of print. What printer can? And how does it do it?

Tags:
  2. CoryP

CoryP Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I have printed on static cling on the face side and stuck it on the inside of the window. It goes on good, the only window I have put it on was really thick glass, and when you look at it, the white got a little dull, but I was still pretty happy how well it went on.

3. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    You can reverse print on clear and laminate that with a white vinyl for background.

John

4. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    yes, i was also thinking in that direction. But im affraid, that color arent gonna be so full...

But some firm does this without white vinyl. I heard, that printer is ink-jet, but how do they get the adhesive on same side as print? Do they do it manualy?

I thougt someone has done it before...

Cory; yes, but your version is vulnerable... if it is behind glass, it is fully protected!

5. DGDesigns

DGDesigns Member

Oct 26, 2009
    To my knowledge it's not about the printer, but rather the right material. Quality Media has what you're asking about. Check out http://www.qmls.com/www/window.htm and talk to a rep. You can print on a specific window material and use a double-sided adhesive layer over top so the graphics can be viewed from the same side as the adhesive layer. Hope that helps.
    Also, you can order custom decals like this from Stouse www.stouse.com

6. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    It's quite common to thermal transfer print reversed CMYK on clear with a White finisher on a Gerber Edge or Summa.
    As for a solvent printer, you would need to outsource to someone who can print White ink or laminate with White vinyl.

7. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    laminate with white vinyl - that we can do by our selfes...

8. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    yesterday i went to this studio, that is also offering these kind of prints. But the guy there said, that they are printing on solvent printer, in have a special machine, that add adhesive beetwen print and glass. So, that there is only one layer. When i took a look at samples, colors were realy life! very nice prints!

Today we will do the print on clear vinyl, and then overlaminate it with white...

Some other guy, that is selling materials, said, that adhesive may become a little bit yellow over time... what about that?