• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl graphics on matte paint?

meltsner

Unfortunately I'm not finding any information at all on this subject...I have a possible job for a charter bus, for graphics/stripes etc.......but fresh out of the body shop, they just re-painted it in satin black. In my little bit of experience I'm a bit leery of applying long-term decals on matte surfaces, let alone the trial of matching the matte finish with vinyl.

Are there any concerns about doing so, and correct vinyl? And maybe references to matte cast vinyls other than just black/white? (or...matte/satin laminate the gloss vinyl...? :/ )

letterman7

You should be fine if they used a satin clear coat rather than a "hot rod black". One of my law enforcement customers now has a fleet of matte black cruisers that I decorate with reflective. Two years in and everything has been fine.

Billct2

Yes, like letterman said, as long as it's a "real" paint job you should be fine. There are matte laminates available that can probably get you close, but sometimes it's cool to have a contrast, high gloss lettering on satin/matte finish.

meltsner

Thank you both, that may be the ticket then :) I have 3105HT I'm sure wouldn't have ANY trouble sticking lol, but I'd rather stay far away if possible. I will double check with the shop on what was used.

ikarasu

You're going to use 3105ht on a freshly painted vehicle? Even if it's of gassed for a month.... Expect the paint to come off whenever you remove the vinyl!

I'd stick to ij40 or equivalent... It should stick just fine.