• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl in smaller 4" and 2" rolls... buy or cut?

dtdm

I have a project that requires 100ft lengths of solid vinyl both 2" and 4" wide...
I have a few weird rolls that I got awhile back, however now that I actually need the stuff, I can't find it!

I do not see spending the money on a 24" roll.. and cutting off 4" or 2" of it, to be a valid solution... I have done this with 54" rolls down to 48" to fit in a printer, taped the ends, put it on a chop saw, and hacked the end off. However in this situation I need the edges to be perfect and straight.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. oracal 651 would be preferred however I can make other things work (just needs to last 8 months outdoors)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You can order standard or custom cut roll stripping from Gregory.
They carry 3M Oracal and a house brand that is pretty good.
Gregory1.com

wayne k
guam usa

Great Signs

Check to see if your supplier has a slitting machine to slit either a 15" or 24 inch roll. if their blades are sharp you will have a nice smooth edge. what ever is lef is sure to be used up over time for other jobs that do not require full 24 inch roll usage.

Scott Reynolds

I would say slit it.

Back in the day when I first got into the sign biz, I was selling rolls of 3"x50 yd black reflective to the county for $300 a roll (8 roll min). I was just ordering a 24" roll of Black reflective for $1100 and having the supplier slit it for me into 8 - 3" rolls. Slitting is the way to go.

OldPaint

i did TORO cooperate vans while in sarasota, had a 2.5" red, then a white space and then a 2.5" green stripe all the way around the van. i think i got rolls from GREGORY just the size i needed. also when i built my shop i put bubble wrap insulation on the walls. where the 6 foot sheet of insulations overlap, i had my local sign supply take a 24 651 white oracal roll, cut it into 3 inch rolls, to tape the insulation together.

dtdm

Thanks for all then input!
My suppliers I deal with can slit.. the problem was I get a 12" roll and slit it to 4" and 8"... now i have an 8" roll that is going to be pretty much useless//pain to use.

I will check out a few options... Or use duck tape ahahaha.

dtdm

Pat, agreed... $60 isn't a good deal of money... but when you need 12(100ft) lengths... its gets a bit crazy ;)

Sign Works

Thanks for all then input!
My suppliers I deal with can slit.. the problem was I get a 12" roll and slit it to 4" and 8"... now i have an 8" roll that is going to be pretty much useless//pain to use.

I will check out a few options... Or use duck tape ahahaha.

Or you could just order exactly what you need from Sharpline Converting or Universal Products and be done with it.