• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl in two panels

grlazsigns

Whenever I do some graphics that are bigger than the vinyl Im using, and they are cut in two different panels the two parts never align. Anybody knows anything about it.

Pat Whatley

My guesses....

A. Your plotter is slipping or not tracking correctly.
B. You're allowing the software to decide where to split the vinyl. It's adding an overlap and when you go to put the two pieces together you aren't compensating for it.

iSign

printing?

cutting?

they align on the bench, but not after install?

or they come of your machine already incompatible?

MikePro

you usually want to overlap your graphics up to 1/8", anyways, to compensate for potential shrinkage.

HulkSmash

if you're using a plotter and this is happening on cut vinyl, make sure the clamps are on the second lock in the back of your cutter

grlazsigns

Its before I install it. I have done it leaving the plotter choose where to split and I have done it m self moving the panels.

grlazsigns

Thanks guy. I have a roland cj 500 that prints and cuts. Thats the one I use for big signs, but wante to know what the deal was with the pcut

Pat Whatley

yeah, I'm really thinking you've got a tracking issue. Cheaper machines aren't built to the same tolerances as better machines. If your pinch or grit rollers were manufactured just a bit off it will cause the vinyl to "drift" when cutting panels. Cutting individual letters the "drift" isn't enough to cause problems, cutting large panels the effect gets compounded until it causes problems.