• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl install toolbox

CanuckSigns

I'm hoping someone can make some recommendations on tool boxes/bags that work for them.

I do a lot of vinyl installs at local hospitals, anything from 8"x8" door decals to wall wraps. With hospitals parking is usually not very close and I'm having to haul the vinyl and tools fairly long distances and up/down elevators. I've been looking into a backpack to hold all my install tools (squeegees, knives, heat gun etc, standard vinyl install tools). There are lots of options on the market, but they are all geared for carrying standard tools that an electrician would use, I don't need to carry 45 screwdrivers and pliers.

Has anyone else adapted a backpack into a toolbox for our industry? Any other options I might be overlooking? Being handsfree would be a plus!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Backpack is a good idea. I usually just have as many tools as I can hanging off my cargo pants and arms full while I struggle to walk...and make several trips.

Z SIGNS

red-black-husky-tool-bags-hd10030-th-64_1000.jpg

DL Signs

Never go against the family
We use mobile job boxes kinda like this, same brand, but this one looks shorter. The compartment in the lid is great for extra blades, knives, and tiny stuff. Has a removable tray inside for small tools, tape measures, tapes, squeegees & stuff. Bottom has plenty of room for bigger stuff, heat gun, extension cord, rags, alcohol, trash bags, and anything larger. Really helps you stay organized and not have to hunt for things, and it's always stocked with it's own dedicated tools. The one we have is over 3' long, so depending on what you're laying you can just slide the handle out, strap rolled graphics to the top with those little elastic mini bungee cords, and rolling everything in with one hand. Having the wheels in the back, they go through doorways easy. There are a lot of different styles of these, many well under $100. Best part is if they tip over in a back seat, trunk, or back of a truck, it doesn't dump everything. The only time they can be a pain is you have to carry it by the handle up & down stairs, they're not that heavy loaded, but you can't strap graphics to the lid, most commercial buildings have elevators these days, so that's just a rare inconvenience.

1693008642323.jpeg

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I use THIS for small jobs like door vinyl, etc.

TB-CT-34++(1).jpg

I use THIS for medium jobs that might require additional / more specialized tools. The above pouch clips to the outside rail.

61R-t941aML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

9145mzKpJoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

TB-CT-61-18_Lifestyle01.jpg

For larger jobs, I put the above rolling bag on my cart with the vinyl, ladder, sprayer, etc.

1MDN4_AS01.jpg

ikarasu

We moved towards this.

All the main stuff you use on 90% jobs in the bottom one, mid one has everything unique that you don't use on 75% of jobs....but can quickly attach and bring it if needed. And top one is stuff you use on like 10% of jobs.... Wall anchors, screws, other specific use items.

Then we have smaller bags that work for most jobs, so we don't have to lug this around if we don't want to, or if there's a ton of stairs and no elevator. It works pretty good though... Main reasons we got it is I found I was spending 30-45 mins every single job collecting tools we'd need. Now everything is in the tool box .. very easy to grab all 3 boxes if you're not sure what you need and be out the door in 2 minutes.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have a Milwaukee rolling pack-out case that I use around the shop only. I'd definitely take it on the road if my jobs warranted it.

JB

Z1wzyypcpEx-.jpg

CanuckSigns

Thanks everyone. What I'm trying to achieve is to have different tool boxes for different types of jobs, I have 1 that I use for interior signs that need to be installed with screws, but I'm looking for something smaller for vinyl installs that will hopefully be hands free (backpack or something I can put over my shoulder, as I'm usually also carrying a roll of vinyl with me as well. I have a cart I use when needed, but most vinyl installs don;t warrant it.

I took a look at the packout stuff at home depot and it's all very large and heavy and would need to be wheeled around.

I found this on amazon and bought it to try out, I'll report back.

Johnny Best

Shoulder bag, small torpedo level exactly blade razor blade and scraper, squeegees, rags and window cleaner and scissors. Don’t have to ride service elevators and quick. Have had it for over 40 years.

Attachments

• IMG_6357.jpeg
    IMG_6357.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97

gnubler

Triple duty - Lots of tools , bring your kid to work day, and ballistic protection.
I have that same setup. Good for when you have to engage in battle with those problem customers.

Ikarasu - No offense to you, but am I the only one who loathes Ryobi due to the repulsive chartreuse color of their entire Home Depot lineup? I have a few Ryobi tools and they look filthy after a few times out in the field. I stopped bringing them to job sites because they just look cheap.

CanuckSigns

I have that same setup. Good for when you have to engage in battle with those problem customers.

Ikarasu - No offense to you, but am I the only one who loathes Ryobi due to the repulsive chartreuse color of their entire Home Depot lineup? I have a few Ryobi tools and they look filthy after a few times out in the field. I stopped bringing them to job sites because they just look cheap.
They look cheap because they ARE cheap, however I've learned that a $90 Ryobi drill and a $300 Dewalt drill both will break when dropped off a ladder, so the choice is yours.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Same as others with a tool bag. But I also have a folding hand truck that I will use for jobs where I need to also haul rolled vinyl for a distance - stick the tool bag on the hand truck, vinyl in the tool bag sticking up, then a bungee cord around the top of the hand truck to hold the rolled vinyl in place. Really a bucket, box, or whatever on the hand truck is fine as long as you can fit the rolled vinyl it it along with the tools you need.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They look cheap because they ARE cheap, however I've learned that a $90 Ryobi drill and a $300 Dewalt drill both will break when dropped off a ladder, so the choice is yours.
When I see someone with Ryobi tools on the job site ..I can pretty much guarantee they have or have had a meth problem.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I just bounced my DeWalt off the slab and although it didn't break, the battery case split open. A few wraps of yellow duct tape professionally installed and it is as good as new.