• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl is NOT made for Signmaking

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With the paint [or should I say snot] they're using these days, it's not hard to get an oil change to last longer than the paint job. :Big Laugh

fresh

well you was sold that story....and bought it.............i know better.....been puttin SHINE RITE on vehicles since it came out........and to date i have had NOT 1 REPLACEMENT OF IT.....even the reds..........and if your old enough to remember SPAR-CAL............... you know how their red faded.and i have vehciles out there with HP.......in fact i tell people the best red vinyl you can buy is AVERY HP, if you have a color chart, find the red that has a silver backing...........this stuff is the longest lasting red i have ever seen. i did these 2000 ford vans in 2000............and these pictures are from 2013................zero fade...

I'm with you. Avery HP Cal is the bomb. There would be no reason to use cast on any of the examples you've shown. We have never had a failure using this material, either.

Haters gonna hate.

Marlene

I guess it is all about how you decide to do what you do. we aren't a McDonalds of the sign world but there are some locals who are, not a big deal. I wouldn't want my denist putting in cheap fillings as I'm old and won't need them all that long as it isn't his job to decide how long someone needs something, it's his job to do the job. now back to the OP whine about vinyl not being a good sign material. you can scratch anything if you try hard enough and vinyl is no different.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Yeah, I hate scratching my nails or hearing someone else's on a blackboard. Ah-h-h-h... even writing it makes me squirm. :frustrated:

SignManiac

Here's your calendared vinyl.

Attachments

• Calendar -01.jpg
    Calendar -01.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Calendar -02.jpg
    Calendar -02.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Calendar -03.jpg
    Calendar -03.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 65

Tim Aucoin

If vinyl didn't scuff or scratch too easily, we wouldn't have repeat business.... right?? :thumb: Just make sure that it's the CUSTOMER who does the scuffing and scratching AFTER you have installed it! :Big Laugh

Patentagosse

well you was sold that story....and bought it.............i know better.....been puttin SHINE RITE on vehicles since it came out........and to date i have had NOT 1 REPLACEMENT OF IT.....even the reds..........and if your old enough to remember SPAR-CAL............... you know how their red faded.and i have vehciles out there with HP.......in fact i tell people the best red vinyl you can buy is AVERY HP, if you have a color chart, find the red that has a silver backing...........this stuff is the longest lasting red i have ever seen. i did these 2000 ford vans in 2000............and these pictures are from 2013................zero fade...

That helps since the vehicle is white but the same vinyl on dark colored paint such as dk. blue, dk. charcoal, burgundy or black and you're in trouble within 2 years.

fresh

Here's your calendared vinyl.

Here's our High Performance Calendared Vinyl. Its a sign on the back of our shop that gets full sun (faces south, direct sunlight.) Yeah, the yellow faded a lot after 8 years, but other than that, it still looks awesome. And its on 1/8" PVC!! Again, full sun / 8 years old and still looks great.

We're holding up a roll of Avery HP700 in Rubber Duckie next to it so you can see what color it used to be. The red still looks quite bright though, wouldn't you say?

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 71

Tim Aucoin

Here's our High Performance Calendared Vinyl. Its a sign on the back of our shop that gets full sun (faces south, direct sunlight.) Yeah, the yellow faded a lot after 8 years, but other than that, it still looks awesome. And its on 1/8" PVC!! Again, full sun / 8 years old and still looks great.

We're holding up a roll of Avery HP700 in Rubber Duckie next to it so you can see what color it used to be. The red still looks quite bright though, wouldn't you say?

:thumb: Looks great for 8 years... especially on High Performance... I might just have to give this stuff a try! :popcorn:

David Wright

Just because customer hasn't come back on you for vinyl failure doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Either they are jaded like a lot of consumers now and don't bother. They probably will go some where else why you obliviously go on selling inferior materials.

I am with Marlene here, be a professional.

OldPaint

guess you cant read........I HAVE HAD THESE CUSTOMERS SINCE 1998.......and they come back, i dont call them.
most of the USED vehicles/trucks i did in 1998..........have been the the crusher by now. LIKE I SAID........ NEW VEHICLE...... i will try to use HP. IF....it is gona be a owner driven vehicle. most TREE SERVICES buy USED TRUCKS.... 5-6 more years onto an already 5-10 year old vehicle that WILL AND HAS BEEN WORKED HARD.... is all they expect form these pieces of USED EQUIPMENT.
problem being......I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE........which vinyls serve the client.......... in different applications.... so they get the proper product for their money........thats professional...........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, if I buy Florsheim vs. Allen Edmond wingtips, am I getting screwed by not buying the more expensive brand ??

What if I want to walk from the car to the water's edge down at the seashore in flip-flops ?? Was I a fool to buy Birkenstocks, rather then the ones at the 'Dollar Store' ??

If the shoe fits wear it, otherwise, just make sure the customer is happy and you'll have a friend for life.

Sheesh........ what a group. Suddenly, you're not professional if you don't do what three other people think........ and notice, I didn't say do, but what they prescribe to do.

jen.reelez

Back in the day when everything was hand painted, it sure wasn't bulletproof, lettering would get scratched on box vans, if you touched up you had to deal with faded paint.

Basically, nothing man made will last forever...amazing, here in the Pac NW, mother nature shows who is boss, algae, moss, whatever you call it grows on everything that doesn't move, and some things that do move, like cars.

Sandblasted signs are covered with the green fuzz, backlit signs have it growing in the channels....its creepy!:omg:

:Big Laugh Right right right, man-made things are temporal. :rock-n-roll: