• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Laminate or Liquid Laminate?

SW101

Hey guys, I'm doing an ACM sign that will have cast Oracal vinyl and some real gold 22k stuff. I want the sign to last as long as possible since the 22k vinyl has a 15 year rating.

Should I go with a liquid laminate like clear shield over the whole sign or a premium 3m overlaminate over it to help the cast vinyl last as long as possible?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

rjssigns

Bury it in high solids automotive clear and call it a day. More expensive but will outlast liquid or cast laminate.

SW101

Bury it in high solids automotive clear and call it a day. More expensive but will outlast liquid or cast laminate.
You will have to excuse my ignorance when it comes to clear coats and laminates, it is new territory for this die cut vinyl guy. Will basically any automotive high solids clear stick to the vinyl or is there a particular brand I should go after? I have sprayed frog juice to vinyl before so I'm assuming automotive clear would stick just as well but be much more durable, am I wrong?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You will have to excuse my ignorance when it comes to clear coats and laminates, it is new territory for this die cut vinyl guy. Will basically any automotive high solids clear stick to the vinyl or is there a particular brand I should go after? I have sprayed frog juice to vinyl before so I'm assuming automotive clear would stick just as well but be much more durable, am I wrong?
Yes it will stick.

rjssigns

I like Valspar AC4400 but any automotive two part clear will work.

As far as it sticking to vinyl there should be no issues. Works awesome with prints too. They don't need laminate since they're getting buried in clear. Did some prints for construction vehicles that got clear coated. Incredible look and super durable.

I've been hearing good things about Tamco products too. May want to check them out.
https://tamcopaint.com/collections/clearcoats/products/hc2104-high-solids-clearcoat-1