• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Vinyl & Laminate suitable for Mimaki UVJC 300-160

adsababy

Hi All, I am looking for recommendations for vinyls and matching laminates that produce good results on the Mimaki UVJC 300-160 (LUS170 inkset).
I have been using Mactac 5828 with matching laminate but silvering is a big issue. I have tried with a little heat but it does not really help and I would rather cold laminate. It is that bad that I am thinking of swopping the machine for a Solvent version unless I can get some decent results. I would really welcome any suggestions, especially from users of this machine. Many thanks

InkHead

I'm looking into this machine as well and was looking at laminate options since the ink is textured. Mimaki makes a laminate called Mimaki Vision Laminate 310. It's supposed to be more flexible to fill in the gaps between textures surfaces of the UV ink. See attached image. I'm sure there is other options but this is just what I saw while researching the UCJV300

Attachments

• f487c5b99edda69d51675fc9a70d7af5 (1).png
    f487c5b99edda69d51675fc9a70d7af5 (1).png
    41.9 KB · Views: 244
  • ccae7cdba80eb01a3d0b6a6f6b505e38.png
    ccae7cdba80eb01a3d0b6a6f6b505e38.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 242

adsababy

Thanks InkHead, I had not heard of this laminate, It looks like a heat assist laminate, great if it works. I will contact my supplier and try to get a sample.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
UV needs heat assist to prevent silvering, especially on Matt vinyl.

why would you prefer a cold laminate? What difference does it make? Your preference shouldn’t be an option. What works should be THE option.

We run our laminates through at 40°C and have no issues. If you do run into issues, try turning the speed down.

Sounds more like user error to me.

adsababy

Thanks for your feedback iPrintStuff, I could point you to plenty of threads suggesting never to use heat on UV prints so it seems that the issue is subjective or people have found the right combination of kit and materials. I have of course tried with heat and I still get issues with silvering to a lesser degree. Are you saying that using heat is the only option?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Not the only option, but an option nonetheless that shouldn’t be overlooked.

Using heat will likely be down to your shop temperature. So between 80 and 110 farenheit should work. This allows the adhesive to flow better.

Laminate speed - pressure sensitive laminates usually laminate better at slower speeds. Plus this gives it more time on the heated roller in order to soften it up.

Try different pressure settings (I’d put the pressure up usually).

Could be none, or a combination of all of those together.

It could also just be the laminate, slivering does go away over time. Have you ever just left a print for a while to see what it looks like?

An option would be to use a thicker laminate, as the heavier weight fills up the recesses better. (Usually)

adsababy

Thanks, I have left prints over a weekend before laminating without any difference, also laminated, ran a test and left to sit about two months ago and they still look silvery. I am using max pressure (Seal image pro 62 plus) there is no pressure wheel to nip further than the control panel that allows you to set it to zero but have also taken some prints to another site with a 62 pro and the same result. Do you recommend a laminate that works for you? trying to eliminate everything at the moment