• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Lettering/Graphics

I have a customer who wants me to price a 24' construction trailer. It will be mainly large lettering with company name , address, phone #, etc. he wants both sides, back doors and front done. What is the best way to approach the pricing, figuring letter size and price per letter or square ft? I have done a couple small trailers, but nothing this large. I do not have a software program to do estimating so I have to do it all by longhand.
Thanks in advance!

OldPaint

24 foot trailer 7 ft wide.........6 ft tall
NOW..HOW MANY SQ FEET are you looking to cover with lettering?
24' X 6'= 144 sq ft. X 2= 288.
6' X 6'= 36 sq ft..........total of 288+36= 324. this is the whole trailer @ $10 sq ft(easy to figure)ya got $3,240.00. @ $5 sf its $1620.00.
so now let go at this way.......side of trailer we will cover 20 feet X 4 feet= 80 sf X 2= 160. rear door 5 x4=20 sf so now you got 180 sq ft to cover.
@ $10 sf..its $1800.00 @ $5 sf its $900.00.
simple enough???
OH let me add this......ANYTHING LESS THE $5 sq ft........is really dumb...

Mosh

How much do you need to make? What is you overhead? What is your shop hourly rate? Printed or just cut film?
How much is covered? Artwork included?

I'd be between $300 and $2,000 for a trailer that size.

rdm01

Excel will be your best friend for pricing. Save spreadsheets for later reference. List out your materials, your time, and your markup. Add some equations, then find selling price.

rdm01

Also, square foot pricing will be the death of you. It is a lazy crutch used by shops who don't want to accurately price things every time.

To the shop who offers $3.50/sq ft banners, all I have to say is I will take 1500 12" x 12" banners, hemmed and grommeted in all four corners, different artwork on each.

Marlene

how do you charge for small stuff? it would be the same only bigger. do you charge by the letter and height or what? how do you sell your vinyl? just do that unless you just pull a number out of the air

TXFB.INS

Also, square foot pricing will be the death of you. It is a lazy crutch used by shops who don't want to accurately price things every time.

To the shop who offers $3.50/sq ft banners, all I have to say is I will take 1500 12" x 12" banners, hemmed and grommeted in all four corners, different artwork on each.

so if I am understanding you, every job is a different price? regardless if it is the same material, size? what do your customers do, keep calling each day until you give them a price they like since you change the price constantly?

and if you walked into our shop wanting that order, "we unfortunately don't do 12"x12" but we do 24"24" size at $3.50 per SQFT." "with all new orders there is a 1 time set up fee for each new design and or edit to existing designs"

OldPaint

Also, square foot pricing will be the death of you. It is a lazy crutch used by shops who don't want to accurately price things every time.Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha now thats really dumb.......RIGHT I BEEN DOING THIS SINCE 1986.........all sq ft pricing......trying to figure time, materials, overhead, expenses..is a waste of time.......sq ft priceing comes from days when all ya had was can of paint, some brushes and a lot of talent to get the job done in the qucikest time you can.....and not spending time figuring out how to cost the job)))))

TO THIS I SAY............if your letting stuff out the door at that price.....YOUR THE PROBLEM.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

To me, these statements tell me you don't do much in a week's time. If one has 2 or 3 jobs going through their shop a week, your method might be Okay, but once you get to 15 to 25 jobs a week going out, you'll need a staff for your estimating alone. You need to estimate.... and a square foot is only one of the elements in the entire equation, but you must use a square footage system somewhere. Heck, that's how it's sold to you.

Also, if you called and ordered 1,500 individual foot by foot banners, I'd hang up on your @ss. There is a point where a shop minimum takes over. Ours is $165.00, so your banners would cost $165.00 each and I might add an additional $25. to each one for being a smart alec.

We're just finishing up a nice size order where the customer ordered around 675 signs. Almost each one is different and there are quite a few various sizes. Once they get down to a certain size, although we based this whole order on volume, there still is a bottom minimum. We made the magic number $29. for signs as little as 8" x 14" Once they go up a little, they went to $39 until we hit a good size, then we priced by the square foot. The most expensive sign came to $7,850. The total order was $138,000. So, if we hadn't used a crutch, as you put it, the cost would've been much higher. This job took us about 2 months to do. We have about a week left on it, yet.

Biker Scout

675 signs totaling $138k? Please don't tell me this is for a Nigerian pastor. :ROFLMAO:

That's crazy! I want a sign job like that!

Thanks for the replies. He also wants me to install.There is a total of 197 sq ft to cover, I dont see how sq ft pricing can be all bad as long as you know all the expenses involved and time it takes to complete a job and what type of a profit you want to make on each job.
Im no stranger to the pricing game, I have owned my offset,digital and wide format shop for the last 24 years.
I just needed a little guidance as this is the biggest trailer we have priced so far.
We just got into the cut vinyl at the request of a lot of our customers and so far it really has paid off, so now we are getting requests from others and it helps our printing part of the business also as they all need some sort of printed material too!

rdm01

I have created spreadsheets for every product we offer. Yes, every job is custom quoted. It takes about 30 seconds to plug in the dimensions for any job.

We are very busy, yet when set up properly custom quoting hasn't slowed us down. Quotes are delivered to clients promptly.

We average 75 jobs a week, with busy weeks leaning towards 150.