• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl not sticking to painted MDO

davidsnyder

I'm using Hexis hp vinyl on a Sherwin-Williams paint on a typical 1/2" MDO. I'm having to work at getting the vinyl to stick while I pull off the transfer tape. I've used a heatgun to try to activate the adhesive, but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010921.jpg
    P1010921.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 132
You need at least 72 hours cure time for any paint. If it's latex good luck. Search forum for vinyl to painted wall. There is a thread like this every week. Search for webinar also. I posted a very good webinar on the subject on here. It is all about different types of paint and vinyl and how to get them to stick. The best for almost all paints is to lightly scrub with a scrub pad and then wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. After the 72 hour cure time.

Mosh

Laytex paint is for houses NOT signs....Hexis hp vinyl is junk.....what other good new would you like?

Mathews or Ronan paint with 3M film and you are good to go.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'm using Hexis hp vinyl on a Sherwin-Williams paint on a typical 1/2" MDO. I'm having to work at getting the vinyl to stick while I pull off the transfer tape. I've used a heatgun to try to activate the adhesive, but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

attachment.php

I've never used Hexis vinyl, but Sherwin-Williams paint is garbage. Your going to have to strip the panel and repaint. You want an acrylic enamel. Others complain about one shot, and I've seen some colors fade, but I've had good luck with it over all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd just turn it over and do the other side. Also, you might wanna do the edges, cause if this is outside, it's gonna need those voids closed and a few coats of paint or it'll delaminate in no time.

Use an oil based paint, if you can. Tan is a very easy color to duplicate.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you bought the MDO one side don't paint the back, vinyl will not stay on even if it's painted, I know by experience :banghead:

Seeing how there is little cupping/warping, I highly doubt they are one-sided pieces. Even if they were on runners, they'd still be going up on the ends if only one side had been painted with an unfinished backer.

Z SIGNS

cheap vinyl applied to cheap latex does not work.

Look at the bright side you got this education and it did not cost you that much.