• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl not sticking to painted wall, help!

proline51

here is the low down, i have a large job (for me) in a new subway/conv. store. i have printed two different wall graphics off the same roll of 3165gra laminated with 210 semi gloss. i prepped the first wall with tps cleaner and installed with no problem. went to install the other wall graphic, prepped wall the same way, went to position graphics and hold them in place with green masking tape, and the tape would not hold, tried wiping the wall with clean damp rags again plus tried normal masking tape and still would not hold. tried a piece of scrape vinyl and it was not near a tacky as on the other wall. the only difference in the two walls is one is an old drywall wall that had oil base paint on originally and was recently painted with latex paint, this is the wall i am having problems with, the wall that worked perfectly was new drywall painted with the same latex paint. the problem wall i thought was going to be perfect as the finish was really smooth, but i have thought if i can not figure this out i may have to install alumabond on the wall and then install the graphics.

any help would be greatly appreciated, as they are wanting to open next weekend.

thanks in advance for any help!

proline51

i realize that it was not designed for that use, but in the previous jobs that did not want a removable vinyl this product worked perfectly, and the owner said that the wall that the vinyl does not want to stick to was painted before the wall that is already done.

thanks for the reply!:smile:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Maybe the paint was not mixed well on the one wall? I know eggshell finish paints do not take vinyl well and many paints also have additives such as antifungals, etc that can inhibit adhesion.

knucklehead

Plus, some of the newer paints also have teflon, and/or silicon in them, so dirt won't stick. Unfortunately, vinyl doesn't stick either. Try scuffing with a scotchbrite pad, and see if that helps?

Richard G

We have run into this same issue with the new paints. That is exactly what it is, the new formulas are mixed with the Teflon and it make it nearly impossible to use vinyl on the walls. However on this type of wall we are using Oracal 3105 HT and it is working. Mind you the customer has to sign off on this one though for it really is their to stay.

signguy 55

Just repaint the wall with oil based Kilz or any good alkyd enamel, even scraps you have around the shop mixed together. A gallon of Kilz will run $20.00 - 30.00, a couple of hours at the most labor to paint and you'll be good to go.

proline51

wow, thanks for all the replies. i have thought about the new paints with teflon or silicon in them, but i am still stumped why the vinyl stuck to the first wall that were both painted the same. i will mention repainting with kilz to them, never heard of that i will have to check if we can get it in town.

thanks again, :U Rock:

S'N'S

I presume you'd be able to get this stuff or something like it over there...............Note I have not tried it myself.
http://www.cphgroup.com.au/products/cphgraphics/tools-accessories-site-supplies/solvents-cleaners/wall-graphics-seal-bond-surface-treatment-product-code-size-each-wgsb-200ml-aerosol-28-95.html

• the ideal spray to turn painted surfaces into vinyl-receptive surfaces
  • simply spray on wall, wait 10 minutes – then apply any standard vinyl
  • 100% transparent – does not leave any traces or stains
  • suitable to increase bonding on difficult-to-treat materials such as acrylic painted walls, lacquered surfaces, PP, ABS etc
  • comes in handy aerosol can