• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl off

lkcustoms

Hey I have to quote a job for taking off some vinyl on a bus. It is a 5 inch. letter and 22 feet long it has been on there for 8-10 years and I know that a heat gun will take a long time. has anyone used that vinyl off or anything like that and long should I estimate for this. I was thinking 2-3 hours am I close?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
ive never had success with vinyl off, but the eraser is a different story....that sucker works great, but can tend to leave a mark on the vehicle....if you apply too much pressure or get it at the wrong angle

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Some of that vinyl remover stuff will disolve some paints, so test in an inconspicious area first. We used one brand and it took the paint off diabond. Using a new method allways takes longer than you expect as well so pad your quote. You can always be a nice guy and give some of it back.

I won't quote removal with out spending 5 to 10 minutes testing the vinyl. After that you have a pretty good idea if you want to do it or not and price it accordingly. Removal of really old vinyl sucks, and most of us hate to do it, so I make sure you don't get $crewed.

Poconopete

Propane torch with a flame spreading tip + a Lil Chizler works well for me. Just keep the flame moving.
Quote it at your shops hourly rate x what it takes to get it done, don't give a price. If they don't like that tell them they can do it themselves and you'll just do the install.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Heat gun, Lil-Chizler and Rapid Remover. You may be able to do it in 2-3 hours but it could take more. Always charge by the hour for removal to cover yourself.

jscarl

If you are removing 5", then what are you replacing with. Will the fade from the old lettering show?. And who fixes that?

lkcustoms

I will be replacing it with different lettering same hight. I did tell them that it will need to be buffed after the vinyl is removed.

mountainmang

i really prefer a steamer in lieu of rapid remover or vinyl off when it's applicable...leaves very little adhesive if done right :thumb:

DRamm76

If there's on thing I absolutley love about this industry it's how there are so many crazy tips and techniques to do things and all of them work! Here's mine..I actually had to letter some vans years ago and had to remove the old vinyl which might as well have been paint..Now this only works on WHITE vehicles but spray a light coat of Oven Cleaner..yes Oven Cleaner..spray a LIGHT coating..let it work on the vinyl for a minute..then wipe it off with a squeeqee..trust me wear gloves..and NEVER use it on painted surfaces other than white...

This worked for me but like with anything, do your own test first. Good luck!