• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl on an awning???

Marlene

I use Gerber 220 series vinyl (high performance, cast) will it stick to a canvas/material type awning?

Billct2

Probably not.
You can get the material that will stick to awnings (I think Fellers carries it) or you can mask & paint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're talking something similar to sunbrella, probably not for very long.

We generally hand paint them.

Shovelhead

My former employer baked the material with vinyl in a lamp box
and it was warranteed by either Sunbrella or Gerber....don't recall which.
Don't know if heat-treating with a heatgun is the same thing.

SignosaurusRex

First of all, you are going to need to know what type/brand of material you are dealing with. Yes, some vinyls will stick to and hold up on some fabric awning materials.

300mphGraphics

I've searched this topic before. :) http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58465&highlight=insignia

I've used the methods in that thread to paint. I would like to try the insignia cloth though paint was cheaper. Using a paint color that was same as the awning for a base coat helped as the stencil wouldn't stick perfectly and helped seal up the template. Make sure the final paint is fairly thick to hold a good edge and not sneak under the template too much, leaving just a little touch up. After a few test tries as to which vinyl I had on hand to use for the stencil, I used standard arlon 4560 as it held better to the fabric. Still a pain in the rear though. One trick was to not mask the entire stencil so I could tape that to the awning securely before removing the masking, very slowly, one letter at a time.

Marlene

thanks for the help, I knew I could count on you fine folks for an answer. also, thanks for the link to Insignia cloth.

Mike_Koval

Not sure if this is an option for you but, heat pressing is an option. We carry a product that applies at a very low temp of 210 degrees F.

This material was designed for awnings and tents. It also works very nicely on poly pro bags.

visual800

my awning guys use the sunbrella sytem. When they first got it you could "bake" on high performance 3m, LATER that binyl would no longer work and you had to buy some special crap from sunbrella, I told them to sell the unit that was BS!