• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl On Bare MDO / Plywood

ActualGrafix

Sell him the graphic, give him your recommendations. You can't guarantee anything when you aren't the one installing it. It isnt your problem after that. When he comes back he'll buy another one and ask for you to install it.

andy

I agree with Actual

Your customer is specific about what he wants and clear about what he doesn't want... make what he's ordered and after that it's not your problem.

vid

...and am not sure why. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Porosity of the material and the somewhat weak cross-link molecular structure of the substrate, lead to the failure of the vinyl application to bare wood. The microns thin layer of adhesive found on typical vinyl manufactured for use in the sign industry is not thick enough to encapsulate and seal the material. That makes it subject to premature failure from expansion and contraction, as well as environmental influences of moisture.

If there are no binding agents applied to the wood, the best explanation of the phenomenon I’ve heard...

is that your trying to apply vinyl to air.

It should be noted that air, (and even worse, wind,) is not dimensionally stable. It has a poor cross-link molecular structure and is a horrible substrate for professional vinyl application - Gravitational influences are the predominate cause of failure when applying vinyl directly to air --- Don’t ask me how I know.

It's kind of a sign making rule for me now: the more air there is between the adhesive side of vinyl and the substrate, the less likely it will adhere to the surface.

Suffice to say, key elements in successful vinyl application is determining the porosity and dimensional stability of any given substrate.

Unsealed wood is bad.

charlie3238

I made a sign for a construction company awhile back and laid vinyl right on top of treated plywood. This was in the Southern C.A. desert where it can get up to 120 deg in summer and below freezing in winter plus rain. I screwed on a sheet of thin plexi glass on top of the graphic to protect it from vandalism, Mainly taggers. It`s been there for two years and has held up fine. Just something else you might try.

Attachments

• Sign portfolio 003.jpg
    Sign portfolio 003.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 106