• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on Canvas awning help..

totalimage

We have done it a few times and used 651 and applied heat to it. Have not had a problem at all with it. As a matter of fact one of the awnings we did 3 years ago and still looking good....

Steve G.

If you are referring to Acrylic Awning fabric, such as Sunbrella, It is no problem. I apply vinyl regularly with no issues.
A few points to consider:
I would only recommend it being applied to a vertical surface, not the slope.
High Perfromance Cast vinyl is a must. I only use 3m for awings although I would think others would work.
Cleaning with transfer tape or pieces of adhesive vinyl (to pick up fibers) helps very much.
It needs to be applied with heat and pressure. It takes time (more time than you think), but is nessecary. You must conform the vinyl to the fabric. Before I remove the transfer tape, I iron it. Not long but it works well. After Tape is removed, I use a torch, sable block roller and the 3m pad. If it's your first time, practice on a scrap piece first. A heat gun will work but adds time. Keep going until the vinyl is fully conformed and looks like it is paint. You can and will melt the awning fabric with too much heat.
If you are actually referring to Canvas - (cotton)... I have no idea if it'll work. Probobly wouldn't last long. Canvas is organic.. Like wood.