• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on concrete walls

Anyone have any experience applying printed and laminated vinyl to concrete walls? One job will be printed vinyl on a newly painted, interior gymnasium wall. Fairly smooth, professionally painted with satin, water based paint. I'm thinking I should allow a month to cure even in warm and dry central California.
Second job is an underground parking garage. Technically exterior but receives no direct sun or rain. Stays cold and damp in winter. Walls fairly smooth. Painted by handyman with probably cheap paint.
Thanks.

visual800

we have used 3M and orajet. Dont ask me the numbers we order all of our prints. I really dont think it matters.

the laminate will expand and contract (seems to contract more) and we have had it fall off of walls, canvas awnings and pull magnets off vehicles. Laminate is great except on these surfaces.

lgroth

Something to look at.. Check out the 3M IJ8624, it's designed for textured walls (brick, block, stone) and has a matching 8524 laminate. As with most 3M products it's pricey, but it works as intended. Actually ends up looking like it's painted on too. It's easy to scorch with deep grout lines and high heat, never stop or hold the heat gun on bridged areas too long (lesson learned the hard way, test with scraps after printing or laminating before applying). It can be done without their special roller that holds the heat gun too, but for large applications it's worth the investment. Did some that were up for a couple years outdoor in a local ball park, some sun but not direct, stayed up, looked good and came off pretty clean when it was removed. There are a ton of videos out there showing this stiff being applied like this one...

[video=youtube;XUNM0UJN5K4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUNM0UJN5K4[/video]

Pat Whatley

we have used 3M and orajet. Dont ask me the numbers we order all of our prints. I really dont think it matters.

the laminate will expand and contract (seems to contract more) and we have had it fall off of walls, canvas awnings and pull magnets off vehicles. Laminate is great except on these surfaces.

Solvent printer laminated to quickly.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
A lot of people are using 3M's textured surface laminate 8524 with IJ480 as well. The laminate is the important component because it has thermoforming characteristic that tends to prevent the vinyl from shrinking back and bridging. I've even had large companies ask me to quote installation using IJ180 with the 8524 but consult with the manufactures spec sheets before you commit.

There are a lot of different tools you can use but the bigger ones are necessary and will pay for themselves on the larger jobs. Try 3M and Geekwraps for the larger rollers and those two plus RollePro for smaller ones.

Thanks

Something to look at.. Check out the 3M IJ8624, it's designed for textured walls (brick, block, stone) and has a matching 8524 laminate. As with most 3M products it's pricey, but it works as intended. Actually ends up looking like it's painted on too. It's easy to scorch with deep grout lines and high heat, never stop or hold the heat gun on bridged areas too long (lesson learned the hard way, test with scraps after printing or laminating before applying). It can be done without their special roller that holds the heat gun too, but for large applications it's worth the investment. Did some that were up for a couple years outdoor in a local ball park, some sun but not direct, stayed up, looked good and came off pretty clean when it was removed. There are a ton of videos out there showing this stiff being applied like this one...

[video=youtube;XUNM0UJN5K4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUNM0UJN5K4[/video]

Thanks very much. Very helpful. It confirms or elaborates on other product bulletins I've read by 3M. I was wondering about the added expense but now I feel clearer about biting the bullet and getting it done correctly.

signguy 55

Latest Signs of the Times had a new product listing from Oracal for vinyl for painted block and brick, etc. Had a closeup of the print on block, adhered tight in the picture. Don't know the name or the number but looks promising.

Latest Signs of the Times had a new product listing from Oracal for vinyl for painted block and brick, etc. Had a closeup of the print on block, adhered tight in the picture. Don't know the name or the number but looks promising.

Orajet 3954, looks like the film is even more expensive than 3Ms, but they say you can use 290 to laminate so it ends up a cheaper than 3M 8624/8524. I'm not sure I like the fact that they don't have a specific lam for it though...

Pete Moss

Orajet 3954, looks like the film is even more expensive than 3Ms, but they say you can use 290 to laminate so it ends up a cheaper than 3M 8624/8524. I'm not sure I like the fact that they don't have a specific lam for it though...

According to the specs 3954 is for short term outdoor use. 1 year minimum un-printed. I'd be willing to bet in most conditions it'd last quite a bit longer. Envision's specs fluctuates from 8-12 year durability.