• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on floor - how to make it stay on the floor?

carlroger

Hello,

I've been making quite a bit printed vinyl for floor mounting. I'm using floor laminate (IGEPA Sandstructure laminate 100µ) and high tack vinyl (Avery MPI 2006). But I'm having some trouble with some customers, where the vinyl comes loose on the edges. To solve this, I've started to make the laminate about 10-20 mm wider than the vinyl to make an edge with laminate only. This has somewhat solved the problem.
My question is: is there another technique that is better to use? I've heard that some make the edges thinner to make them slope. But how do you do this?

I hope that I've made myself clear and if not, please bear with me.

/Carl

Grafix

Why not print on specific floor vinyl. Neschen Print n Walk. I use this. Never have lifting edges. Nothing to do with thinness just the ability to stick well.

ams

There are several floor vinyls out there and many don't require a UV printer. I have some for Eco-Solvent. You will have issues if you don't use the correct vinyl. Also make sure the vinyl is slip-resistant. Using a gloss laminate will cause people to fall and you will have a lawsuit on your hands.

Also as a tip, make sure you clean the floor first.

carlroger

There are several floor vinyls out there and many don't require a UV printer. I have some for Eco-Solvent. You will have issues if you don't use the correct vinyl. Also make sure the vinyl is slip-resistant. Using a gloss laminate will cause people to fall and you will have a lawsuit on your hands.

Also as a tip, make sure you clean the floor first.

What we do right now is to print on Avery MPI 2006 - Hi-tack laminate. Afterwards we laminate with a slip-resistant laminate. And we always make sure to clean the floor thoroughly every time ;)

carlroger

I read Avery's specs and don't see where it's rated for floors.

No, your're right. The reason why we use Avery 2006 with floor laminate, is that it's very strong adhesive, in hope that this will ensure it not getting loose.
I've got a floor vinyl that I've got from a supplier to test on. It's called IGEPA TEXwalk FloorGraphics. I'm going to do som tests with this one. I was just wondering if the method I've been using so far is completele wrong or if there was something I could do to refine it.

Last edited:

ams

No, your're right. The reason why we use Avery 2006 with floor laminate, is that it's very strong adhesive, in hope that this will ensure it not getting loose.
I've got a floor vinyl that I've got from a supplier to test on. It's called IGEPA TEXwalk FloorGraphics. I'm going to do som tests with this one. I was just wondering if the method I've been using so far is completele wrong or if there was something I could do to refine it.

Well my sales reps from one of my suppliers was here last week and she stated that a high tack vinyl is going to be a nightmare to remove. Floor graphics are suppose to be temporary, usually 3 - 6 months. If the place you installed it cleans the floors with a machine, there isn't a vinyl out there that will hold up to it, because it's a scrapper and cleaner.

clarizeyale

General formulations has a floor specific vinyl with a floor specific anti-slip lam.

We've successfully used a temporary vinyl not meant for floors (but this also depends on what kind of floors) for an event and had no issues...

very important to use vinyl meant for it's use tho.. yknow, floor vinyl for floors....