• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on Painted Canvas Awning?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
OK, so we have a job with 125' of total frontage along an awning 12' in the air. Customer would like to have the entire 18" valiance painted red, with White Vinyl RTA letters applied on top of paint. We've already priced out the paint, and were wondering if there are any tips to getting the vinyl to stick, as we've heard that there are issues along that front. Vinyl letters would only take up about 40' on each of the two sides.

Our concern is that the vinyl would fall off. Does anyone have any recommendations on getting it to stick? Or would masking out the letters and painting over be a better choice? We're afraid if we go that route, there would be drips.

Any advice is appreciated, as we don't work with paint much tbh.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this real canvas, or you're just calling it canvas ??

More than likely, it's Sunbrella. There are quite a few threads on it already. Did you try the 'Search' button ??

Otherwise, if it truly is canvas, you can paint it your red and then letter white right over it with two coats of paint.

AceHigh

My shop has huge awnings on it and when we moved in they were in bad shape. They have been painted over a few times and previous signs had peeled off sections of paint. The landlord wouldn't replace them, they just had them painted over when I moved in. I was worried that our signage would peel of fall off. I put up a large piece of wrap vinyl (52"x120" and it has been up fine for about 3 years now. I did use some 3M primer around the outter edges and I did use the 3M sealer on the edges as well. I also did another section of the awning with just cut reflective vinyl that has held up just as well if not better and ther was no primer or sealer on the lettering.
I have done other businesses in our complex using the same method and had good results with those also.
Good luck

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Has anyone applied vinyl directly to Sunbrella or Canvas? Experiences with both? It's a vertical application.