• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on painted marine plywood

Signs & Designs

I have a landscaper that wanted no other than marine plywood sign for the back of his trailer. I painted it with oil base paint but still is not smooth like max metal or such. Question is how can I make sure the vinyl will stay stuck to the plywood there is some smaller letters. Is there a top coat, heat, etc. trick to maintain the vinyl. Thanks for your help Bob

studio 440

did you prime and prep it before the enamel ? did you spray it , brush it , roll it with an enamel roller ? its just like painting a car prep is everything . color sand it after it dries completely then recoat properly to maintain a smooth application . If its a gloss enamel you've got a very slick surface to try and stick to . what kind of material are you putting on ?

Last edited:

Signs & Designs

did you prime and prep it before the enamel ? did you spray it , brush it , roll it with an enamel roller ? its just like painting a car prep is everything . color sand it after it dries completely then recoat properly to maintain a smooth application . If its a gloss enamel you've got a very slick surface to try and stick to . what kind of material are you putting on ?

I rolled it on with a foam roller, sanded between coats, the paint is rust oleum. I thought it would be better than latex.

letterman7

Did quite a few of those in the early 90's for realtors, using Rustoleum. As long as you don't mind a few bumps and roller marks, you'll be fine. Put it on, smooth it as best you can and add some heat if necessary.