• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on PVC

CanuckSigns

We are cutting some letters for a client's indoor lobby and Im coming across an issue hopefully someone here can chime in on.

We printed the letters onto GF 201 High Tack vinyl, laminated and applied it to a sheet of 0.5" thick black PVC, the letters routed fune, however the vinyl faces can be peeled off the PVC with almost no effort, which doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings about long term adhesion, even inside.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get vinyl to stick better to PVC sheet? I've applied vinyl to PVC in the past without any issue.

Thanks
Scott

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you have the capability of flatbed printing them, instead ?? If you have printing/ink going out the the very edge, chances are, nothing's gonna stay on permanently. It'll all start curling.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
would scuffing it up maybe help it bite?

I would think that would make it worse. Vinyl to vinyl is about the best adhesion ya can get, but generally super smooth to super smooth. Lotsa PVCs have a texture to them and that's probably part of the problem, so I wouldn't think scuffing them up would help.

KMC

Graphic Artist
we had the same issue, and found heating and rolling the vinyl into it worked

RICHARD SIMMONS

We are cutting some letters for a client's indoor lobby and Im coming across an issue hopefully someone here can chime in on.

We printed the letters onto GF 201 High Tack vinyl, laminated and applied it to a sheet of 0.5" thick black PVC, the letters routed fune, however the vinyl faces can be peeled off the PVC with almost no effort, which doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings about long term adhesion, even inside.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get vinyl to stick better to PVC sheet? I've applied vinyl to PVC in the past without any issue.

Thanks
Scott
I think the key is cleaning very well the PVC with alcohol before aplying vinyl

CanuckSigns

So for a bit of an update, I tried cleaning the sheet with various solvents, alcohol, acetone and lacquer cleaner, with no real improvement. Then I tried switching to another vinyl.

I thought using a high tack vinyl would give me the best results, but turns out my standard Arlon 4600LX stuck way better! A quick wipe down with acetone then applying the 4600LX did the trick!

AGCharlotte

Are you using the HTAP variant of GF201?
I didn't know it came in a non HTAP version... maybe I'm using the wrong stuff.

Just looked at Grimco... very good chance I'm not using the HTAP. Someone once upon a time told me GF201 was HTAP. I was unaware it had multiple versions! Grrrrrr

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Just looked at Grimco... very good chance I'm not using the HTAP. Someone once upon a time told me GF201 was HTAP. I was unaware it had multiple versions! Grrrrrr

Fun fact since it's Friday, there is also a new(ish) version, 201HTAP-AE which is high tack + air release. It's become our go-to vinyl for any larger decals that are applied by our customers. (Non-vehicle decals)

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

There are five flavours of 201:

- 201 - Matte white/clear adhesive
- 201HTAP - Matte white/clear high tack adhesive
- 201HTAPAE - Matte white/clear high tack adhesive/Air egress
- 201OAP - Matte white/blockout adhesive
- 201OAPAE - Matte white/blockout adhesive/Air egress

As White Haus mentioned, the newest on the block is HTAPAE. We've moved to using this also. It's a great vinyl. Super easy to lay, and sticks like superglue over 12-24 hours to many surfaces.

SignEST

Acetone is a solvent that does dissolve PVC . The weld-on glue for PVC is mostly acetone it's how I know, has the magic smell. I would not recommend cleaning any vinyls or sintra/pvc sheets with it. If you wiped it with the acetone shortly prior to applying the vinyl it might have still been off gassing and results in a poor adhesion for a while. It should be fine so long it gets pushed back on.

spectrum maine

Thanks
Scott
shoot it with a paint first like krylon for plastic or matthews