• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on Sunbrella marine canvas (awning)

Kottwitz-Graphics

Is there a special process or vinyl to add decoration to a Sunbrella marine canvas?

I have a customer that has ordered an awning, and they would like to have their logo on the end. If it's just high performance vinyl that is decoration, I could do that in house for a fraction of the cost from the distributor, thus more profit...

Southpaw1

I've not found a vinyl that adheres very long on awnings. There are some heat transfer options out there but I haven't messed with them. I have handpainted logos with good, long lasting results on them though.

signbrad

Hand painting has been the least trouble free for me. I used to like brown fitches (soft). But since abandoning One Shot on fabric in favor of Nova Colors, I use the same angled brushes I use at Walldog meets. Some are Taklon, I believe. Also some Lamgnickel sables I got at Michaels Crafts (silvery-chrome-gray painted handles. They are softer than normal sables). Maybe they are synthetic sables. My kit is not at hand or I would give brush numbers.
White on Navy fabric requires double coating. But I double coat everything anyway.

The problem with a vinyl mask, which I have used successfully, is bleeding under it. I have at times, when using masks, painted a first coat or two in the awning color, to try to fill and seal at the edges of the vinyl mask. Bleeds don't show as well that way. Then finish coat with the lettering color,

kcollinsdesign

Old member
If possible, I like to screen print. Air dry screen printing flocking adhesive (Nazdar PX) will work, as does plastisol (curing the plastisol WILL shrink the fabric considerably). I use heavy body acrylic paint thinned with a bit of acrylic medium (kind of a one shot deal, as the paint will dry fast and be impossible to remove from the screen - mix in a small amount of KY jelly if you want to extend the dry time).

If you don't want to go the screen printing route, you can use acrylic artist paint and hand paint the graphic. Multiple thin coats works best; it will take a few coats to get full coverage. If your freehand skills are dodgy, you can use a vinyl stencil. I press down the edges firmly with the corner of a squeegee, then apply a coat of clear acrylic medium to the surface first. When that is dry, I paint with full strength acrylic with multiple coats until I get the desired coverage. When the final coat is dry to touch, lift up the stencil carefully. The initial clear coat will "seal" the edges and help keep the pigmented paint from bleeding into the surrounding surface.

Mostly these days I just order the awning with graphics pre-printed. The large awning wholesalers are set up to do this (they will typically screen print - with materials at hand they can make up a screen in about ten minutes). I have also successfully used digitally printed fabric for short term applications.

https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Sunbrella-How-To-Apply-Graphics-To-Awning-And-Marine-Fabrics.pdf

Southpaw1

If you decide to go ahead and letter it you can use vinyl as a stencil. There are some good ideas about how to seal the edges. I normally just draw around it and letter from there . I have done quite a few of these and I have always used cover stain for the first coat. It's great for a primer and you can paint Ronan or one shot right on top. You may have to touch up the painted part after a few years but depending on sun exposure and weather I've had these last well over 10 years with no chalking

Bigdawg

Just Me
We've not had good success with painting using vinyl as the mask. The paint tended to bleed a little, leaving a very rough edge. We do a lot of kiosk covers made out of the same sunbrella material and use Thermoflex (the one made for this material) heat transfer with an iron - not a heat press. It works wonderfully and lasts long-term. We use a piece of aluminum on the backside for stability and you have to be careful to keep the iron moving or you'll melt the material. Let it cool before peeling the backer. YMMV

a77

We've not had good success with painting using vinyl as the mask. The paint tended to bleed a little, leaving a very rough edge. We do a lot of kiosk covers made out of the same sunbrella material and use Thermoflex (the one made for this material) heat transfer with an iron - not a heat press. It works wonderfully and lasts long-term. We use a piece of aluminum on the backside for stability and you have to be careful to keep the iron moving or you'll melt the material. Let it cool before peeling the backer. YMMV

Paint with the same colour as the awning for first coat, it will bleed a bit. Then paint with the colour you want on top of that.

fresh

http://fabtac.com
Its a stencinl product for awnings. We use about 1 roll every 4 months. We have a awning company as a neighbor and we just cut it and they put it on.

AWESOME. OMG. We picked up an awning company as a client, and painting on an unstretched awning (which is all we've ever done before) is a PITA. Right now I have a 2 color painted awning that needs tons of touch ups. We knew there had to be a better product than paint mask or high tack vinyl for masking awnings.

I also want to mention both FlexCut Sticky Nylon and Grimco's Briteline HTV G-Flex Nylon work great on Sunbrella if you have a heat press.

signbrad

If possible, I like to screen print. Air dry screen printing flocking adhesive (Nazdar PX) will work, as does plastisol (curing the plastisol WILL shrink the fabric considerably). I use heavy body acrylic paint thinned with a bit of acrylic medium (kind of a one shot deal, as the paint will dry fast and be impossible to remove from the screen - mix in a small amount of KY jelly if you want to extend the dry time).

If you don't want to go the screen printing route, you can use acrylic artist paint and hand paint the graphic. Multiple thin coats works best; it will take a few coats to get full coverage. If your freehand skills are dodgy, you can use a vinyl stencil. I press down the edges firmly with the corner of a squeegee, then apply a coat of clear acrylic medium to the surface first. When that is dry, I paint with full strength acrylic with multiple coats until I get the desired coverage. When the final coat is dry to touch, lift up the stencil carefully. The initial clear coat will "seal" the edges and help keep the pigmented paint from bleeding into the surrounding surface.

Mostly these days I just order the awning with graphics pre-printed. The large awning wholesalers are set up to do this (they will typically screen print - with materials at hand they can make up a screen in about ten minutes). I have also successfully used digitally printed fabric for short term applications.

https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Sunbrella-How-To-Apply-Graphics-To-Awning-And-Marine-Fabrics.pdf

This post is entirely too informative. It backs up a belief that I developed in my younger years that there are no dumb screen printers.
Actually, this whole string is full of good stuff.

Using a clear primer to seal the edges of a vinyl mask is an excellent idea.

I would recommend Nova Color over artist's acrylics for the top colors, however. Nova is made for outdoor murals. It is durable and heavily pigmented.

Screen printing is the obvious best way to apply graphics to awnings, assuming you are set up for it. Crispness, and coverage, would be unexcelled.
Of course, it's hard to beat having someone else do the job for you!

And now I know what KY Jelly is for!

Brad in Kansas City

tbullo

Superunknown
I can't tell how well it works cause we just cut and mask it for them. I can tell you that it is very sticky. We were at one time cutting high tack vinyl for them cause it was cheaper I think. But they switched back to Fabtac maybe 6 years ago.

Johnny Best

I make a pattern, pouch it on the awning after it is installed and stretched out. Use white oil base block out for first coat using a fitch and them when dry which is pretty quick, put on top coat of color with fitch or quill if lettering is small.
But am going to look into the Nova colors as Brad uses and see how that works.
You have to be careful not to drop paint on Sunbrella because it leaves a mark. It is a hairy material and not a smooth surface to work on.

GTracer

I have used a vinyl stencil and acrylic painter's calk to put a logo on a Sunbrella awning. It adheres well to many surfaces, doesn't bleed, does not run or drip, is flexible, very opaque, and holds up well in the weather. Colors are limited, but you can easily paint it.

visual800

Ive painted awnings and Ive used the sunbrella graphic system. The press worked great for several years but then had some product failure on 3M vinyl for it and letters started falling off. Of course 3M nor Sunbrella gave 3 dams about this SO they indicated 3M 7125 would be best for pressing.

When I paint awnings i cut a stencil and put light coat of primer (flat paint) on it let that sit up and then topcoat. try not to go too heavy and never brush towards the stencil. Ive cut stencils with oracal 651 and 751 PITA to get the stncil on there though