Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl on trailer covers

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by jsmoritz2000, Oct 15, 2012.

1. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

I have a truck driver who recently bought a new trailer. Sort of a flatbed kind with a large black flex face/awning looking material that acts as a cover. He wants a logo applied to the side of the trailer cover. I'm pretty sure a premium cast vinyl will adhere well, but if the cover gets rolled, bent, or twisted funny will it cause damage to the vinyl that could prematurely compromise it's durability or appearance? I've never done one of these before so I'm hoping someone may have some input. Thanks.

I can post pics tomorrow if necessary.

Tags:
  2. splizaat

splizaat Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    ehhh I think screenprint would be the best method for these...

3. kanini

kanini Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Avery has a product, 2200 SignFlex that is meant for application on flexible curtains/curtainsides on trailers etc. Don't know how well it works though but you could check it out. I don't know if it's available in the US or if it goes by another name...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

Does anyone else have any recommended materials for this type of application? Or possibly any suggestions or concerns?

5. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Have a patch made and sew it on

6. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    Not the right way to do it. 'Been there, 'done that...

Here's the picture. I've done this job for an owner/operator of my neighborhood wanting the same design I did on the cab but scaled to fit his new tarpaulin. Job done with 3M IJ180C + liquid laminate (graphics were about 4' x 4', everything is printed, even the ½ line). Post-heated carefully. 6 months later, it began to crack & peel.

'Must admit it has been done in October so the first 6 months were the coldest ones the graphics could stand here in Canada (-30°C, sometimes more...)

Same job in Florida, expect better durability...

Other tarpaulins around here for big fleets are usually screenprinted or digital.

Here's the link of a big mfg of tarps (same as on my picture): http://www.rollingtarps.com/flatbed-trailer-rolling-tarps.html

Attached Files: