• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on vinyl for truck graphics?

geckophoto

Customer wants me to put plain white vinyl on his food truck where I removed the old vinyl. Then wants me to print his main logo and apply to the white vinyl, does not want it all printed yet so we can add more graphics later.

My question is I will print graphics on Orajet RA and laminate it but can I use a cheaper base white vinyl to put on the truck first and best cost effective recommendation 651/751? I’m basically doing a 56”x18’ plain white area and then piecing up more images later on top of it when needed. Is it ok to use base white with no lamination since all he wants is white?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
20181001_114347.jpg
I did that to an old trailer a few years ago. Looked good when I got done with it. I used 3M air release with a grey adhesive backing to block out stains.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is it completely flat ?? No rivets, screws, dents protrusions or anything ??

We've dne it plenty of times, but we also used an air release grey adhesive vinyl. Why cheap out ?? Besides, it will make it much easier to put on. You'll make up on the cost difference in less labor time alone.

geckophoto

basically all flat a few rivets he is on a cheap budget. He thought about painting it after cleaning off old adhesive but wants just vinyl now. Pic of what I was taking off.....

Attachments

• D71270F6-B38B-4EF8-8605-FA3478B304AB.jpeg
    D71270F6-B38B-4EF8-8605-FA3478B304AB.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 265
  • A080A984-60BA-41AA-8306-EB632DE65E39.jpeg
    A080A984-60BA-41AA-8306-EB632DE65E39.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 253

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
All that grey will show up on the new vinyl if it's not removed. I did alot of cleaning and power washing

So far no issues, it's been two years. I dont see how it would be a problem.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Id use 3551 or ij40 with no laminate. The gray adhesive should block it all out, its relatively inexpensive, air release and repositionable.
2nd, dont spend a bunch of time trying to save your customer money at the expense of your own time and frustration. Time costs more than material. Stick with industry norms and if they cant make it work, let them come back after they have a more realistic budget.