• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl options??

shelle007

I have a used DC4 that I bought two months ago. We primarily use it to make commercial decals a local manufacturing plant. We would like to be able to do wall decals Summa doesn't offer the vinyl for it. Is there an option out there that is safe for our DC4 and for drywall? Are we truly limited to what Summa carries?

I did contact Summa about it but was basically told nothing.

Thanks

Shelle

Jim Doggett

Hi Shelle,

The "newer" (relative concept, since TT printers are a bit long in the tooth by today's standards) Summa printers are a bit more flexible, with the sticky roller that removes most of the debris from the vinyl before laying down the resin ribbons. So you might have some luck with wall vinyls, such as these: http://sign-supplies.signwarehouse.com/removable-wall-vinyl. But it's a crap-shoot, so I'd suggest trying the $20 option and not the $149 options.

Something else to consider is the delicacy of the print head, which is spendy to replace. It's essentially a series of diodes encased in glass, which can chip if debris is not caught by the sticky roller. And when that happens, it's pretty much toast, since lines will apprear in your prints. So if the thing is making you money printing small equipment and safety/warranty decals, a DC4's core competency, IMO, save it for that. Then outsource your wall graphics, until such time that your volume justifies getting an eco-sol or latex inkjet printer.

My $0.02,

MikeD

PhotoTex has been the most reliable material for wall graphics that I have personally used. However, I have not run it through any of our TT printers- Edge or Summa. I think TT printers require a very smooth surface; unlike the Phototex surface that works great on our inkjets.
Let your vendor know what you are trying to accomplish, and they will probably overload you with free samples to experiment with. If you land on a good one, pass it on!

Good Luck

FrankW

Phototex won't work because you need a completely flat surface to print on with TT-Printers.

There is a list of media around summa have tested. I do not have mine in access, but perhaps ask your dealer.