• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl over printed banner

jkoch

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone ever puts vinyl graphics over a printed banner. Such as making a printed background, then putting vinyl letters on top of that, with an event name and a date. Then the customer would want to change the date, so the vinyl graphics would have to be removed without damaging the printed background, to reapply the new date. I don't do my own printing in house, so I don't even know what kind of printer or inks would be used, but I was just wondering if anyone ever does this and if it works or not.

Thanks for your help!

ova

Welcome from Wild and Wonderful WV.

When we have the need to do this, we leave a blank spot [rectangle, oval, circle, etc] where the panel will be placed. We use a low tac vinyl so it's easier to remove.

You could also use velcro to attach banner material panels to the banner .

Dave

jkoch

Hi wild and wonderful WV! You have a beautiful state!

Thanks for your help. The more I thought about it, the more I figured it would be a smart thing to do, to leave a blank spot, to prevent any future disasters. The blank spot just wont look as nice as the printed background, but you can only do so much. My old boss used to say, "We're not miracle workers." Although sometimes I sure wish I were!

jiarby

It is cheaper for you to print a new banner than mess around with removing old letters, cleaning adhesive off, cleaning adhesive remover off, cutting, weeding, masking, and applying the new vinyl.

Sure, you CAN do it... but why would you want to?

By the time you charge extra for THIS banner (it is a regular cost of the printed banner PLUS the extra cost of cutting/weeding/masking/applying the cut vinyl) combined with the cost next year of re-doing the old banner. This should exceed the cost of two printed banners. Plus there is no guarantee that teh banner will be in servicable condition when they bring it back. If it doesn't cost them more then you are running a 501c9 Non Profit Hobby Organization and not running a business.

jkoch

Thanks for your input. But this is just a matter of changing a date, so changing like 2 characters shouldn't be a big deal. I would have everything printed but the date. But yes, you are right, I often do feel like I am running a non-profit, unfortunately!!

we do this all the time..we just another one this morning. we usually have date/location/time or sponser changes that need doing. real simple. make sure when your taking off the old material that you clean up the glue residue and you'll have nice clean banner to apply the new stuff. most of the time designers will leave a blank space to alowe for changes etc. sometimes, like the one this moring we put printed sponsers over a printed sponser that was printed directly to the banner.

10sacer

Changeable date banner

Yeah...

I just got a request for some 18' long banners that the customer wants to have the ability to change the date each year and their brilliant idea is to sew in a clear vinyl "pocket" and slide in the new dates with 2mm PVC each year.

Trying to come up with a clever way to say, "Uhhhh, no" but they are sure this will work.

Anyone ever done something like this?

W

wetgravy

+1 to what jiarby said. Unless you have specific vinyls that you can't print (chrome, metallics, reflective, etc) applying to a printed banner is sort of counter productive. removal of old lettering on old banners and re-applying just does not help anything. If you have a piece of scrap banner material around, apply some lettering, let it sit for 2 or 3 days ... then try to remove it. The amount of time alone it takes to remove the lettering makes it cost counter preductive then you add in the cost of replacing the banner on an "OOPS!" type of mistake where you scar and/or tear up the in surface remove it ... not really worth it.

Mosh

Do it all the time BUT, will only do like a date change NOT THE WHOLE BANNER!!!!!
Peeling a couple of vinly numbers is NO BIG DEAL. I design it so there is no ink in the date change area, this makes it even easier.

CentralSigns

Don't print the date on the banner, leave space for it. Print on a separate piece of banner material and banner tape it in place. Then when they want the date changed they pull the banner tape and come see you. Best way I can see to do it. Then at least all the banner is printed and not vinyl. Use blockout material and it should be very hard to see the seam from any distance at all. You post is the same as anothers. are you also 10sacer

MikePro

rectangles printed with matching background with new dates on them... no vinyl removal needed til its needed a few updates down the road.