• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Posters Cold Weather Install on Windows

Norman Clifton

Vinyl Posters Cold Weather Install on Windows

any suggestions for media or install suggestions - printing 24 x36 adhesive posters that get applied on window outside. Cold weather -5 to 2 degrees. The cold makes it brittle and prone to wrinkles and tears. Using a -10 rated vinyl but no luck.

CanuckSigns

I just installed some large vinyl prints on glass windows, i used the Drytac "Polar premium" with removable adhesive, it's rated for down to -20 c and it went up better than I could have hoped, it didn't feel brittle at all at -5 c.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have some Oracal 751 to install "hours" on a door this afternoon. It's 32 degrees and sunny, I'm going to use Rapid Tac 2 as it says its great for cold weather installs. IDK...first time installing in the cold and using the Rapid Tac 2 for it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I happened to do some large window graphics about 2 weeks ago. It was around 17º I think. Used oracal, but again, these were die-cut letters and not a solid poster. No wet method at all. No wrinkles and no tears.

I'd use application tape and go from the top down and go slowly. Just squeegee from side to side and easy as ya go.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Update. I used the Rapid Tac on both windows and the first window went great, I kept the graphics inside until I was ready and no issues. The second one was a disaster, it was on the other side of the building, it was windy as hell, I got locked out of the building, a few swear words happened and I lost an "e" Grrr It's 3 blocks from the shop so no biggie but, I would recommend bringing hand warmers along and keep them in your pockets if you will be out there a while.

bigben

I just installed some large vinyl prints on glass windows, i used the Drytac "Polar premium" with removable adhesive, it's rated for down to -20 c and it went up better than I could have hoped, it didn't feel brittle at all at -5 c.

I also use this material. I've made an install at -18C and it still worked well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, how well do your fingers work at that temperature ?? I start losing dexterity around 10ºF which is around I think..... -12c ??

Stacey K

I like making signs
So, how well do your fingers work at that temperature ?? I start losing dexterity around 10ºF which is around I think..... -12c ??
NOT GOOD! I have another one coming up with 4 windows (solid white with cut words) and one door. I told her she's going to have to wait until 30 degrees. It's difficult to work with gloves on and I'm not getting frost bite LOL

Norman Clifton

Thanks for reply - however I had bad luck with a 24x36 poster - I bought the Polar Premium to try it and it cracked and tore on me when I tried to install the poster a only 0 degrees. Did you use a overlaminate laminate on it? I am using UV curable and that might be making it go brittle on me.

signheremd

We keep the vinyl warm until the moment it is installed. We have used Rapid Tac II and like it. Heat to set it in some cases - but be careful as heat will draw moisture (like when used to heat surface. Our best results using heat to prep a surface have come from heating the back side. FWIW...

Norman Clifton

We keep the vinyl warm until the moment it is installed. We have used Rapid Tac II and like it. Heat to set it in some cases - but be careful as heat will draw moisture (like when used to heat surface. Our best results using heat to prep a surface have come from heating the back side. FWIW...

What do you print with? I was afraid to heat the glass window - in case it cracked. so assume you heat the vinyl itself?

Dan360

I did 7 windows about 48x60 with the Polar at just below 0, printed on latex and laminated.

I didn't really have any issues with the stuff, no heat or application fluid.

CanuckSigns

Thanks for reply - however I had bad luck with a 24x36 poster - I bought the Polar Premium to try it and it cracked and tore on me when I tried to install the poster a only 0 degrees. Did you use a overlaminate laminate on it? I am using UV curable and that might be making it go brittle on me.

Yes we laminated it with a standard 3 mil gloss laminate

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Tessellate

We have had luck with Phototex that we liquid laminate. For temporary work - we send it out with no liquid if only for less the 2 weeks.

Clients appreciate the removal as they commonly do it (really just grab a corner and pull) which’s saves them the cost of sending us back.

Polar is what I would recommend if intentions are “permanent” but we have had great luck with phototex for those problem installs. Adhesive Fabric does not crack or get brittle!

Norman Clifton

I did 7 windows about 48x60 with the Polar at just below 0, printed on latex and laminated.

I didn't really have any issues with the stuff, no heat or application fluid.

I use UV curable but I will try the laminate i think that will help - does it matter which kind?
thanks in advance. N

Norman Clifton

We have had luck with Phototex that we liquid laminate. For temporary work - we send it out with no liquid if only for less the 2 weeks.

Clients appreciate the removal as they commonly do it (really just grab a corner and pull) which’s saves them the cost of sending us back.

Polar is what I would recommend if intentions are “permanent” but we have had great luck with phototex for those problem installs. Adhesive Fabric does not crack or get brittle!
thanks i will try the fabric for short periods - good idea