• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Print on a Concrete Floor?

Custom Bob

I have a customer that would like to put his racing logo on the floor of his race shop. He plans to put a clear floor sealant over top of the logo.
I was wondering if anyone has ever done this? I know they do this in the Nascar shops in the South.
I'm figuring if the floor is freshly painted and clean, there should be no problem with adhesion and along with the clear it should seal it in good. I know when vinyl scraps drop on the floor of my shop they sometimes stick better to the floor than some of the sign material I apply it to. lol
I'm going to laminate the print so the clear doesn't ruin the print of the logo.
I told him we should try some of the floor sealant over the vinyl on a scrap piece first, to make sure theres no reactions.
My main concern would be the floor sealant releasing from the vinyl lam.
So if anyone has done this or knows of any long term issues that I may run into, I would appreciate any advice.
:thankyou:

Sticky Signs

I've done it. Works great. Just make sure the floor is super clean before applying the vinyl and make sure the edges are sealed. As always, test is first but it should be fine.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Only thing I can think of is if the sealant is epoxy based ... awesome. also even with the sealant make sure he doesn't drag stuff over top of it ... it will tear out if he does. other than that should be fine at least for a year if the sealant is good.

mikefine

There is a 3M product and matching lamination specifically for that type of application. 3647 slip resistant laminate surface and 3662, or similar type vinyl. There are others out there, so if not that particular system, you should definitely consider some type of slip resistant lamination.

Regarding installation, avoid covering or going over the cracks or grooves in the concrete. If you cover the grooves, you are opening a channel for liquids, dirt or solvents to work their way underneath the vinyl, and you'll lose the adhesion. (I learned that the hard way.)

Wrapping concrete is like wrapping vehicles, you'll need to apply some heat.

If you have more questions, feel free to send me a message....